The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mailman question

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by golden_eyes, May 11, 2011.

1. golden_eyes

golden_eyes Well-Known Member

Hey,

Is there any step by step tutorial to use the mailman for the email campaign? Although I read that the best 2 software are mailman with qmail as of the exim can't handle the email as the qmail.

Correct me please..

Sincerely,

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Mailman is installed by default on cPanel. You can access the following URL for a guide on creating a new mailing list:

Mailing Lists

More information on Mailman itself can be found at their website:

Mailman Documentation

Thank you.

3. golden_eyes

Thank you man for you link, I don't have a problem with the create, changing password, delete and modify, but I don't know how to submit the message and send it too conntacts, I clicked on modify it gave me a page but the send message was not there.

Any help!?

4. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

To send mail to a Mailman mailing list, use your preferred email client or Webmail to send a message to the mailing list address.

For example, to send an email to everyone subscribed to "list1@domain.com", type the "list1@domain.com" email address into the "To:" field of your email client, compose your message, and then send it.

To note, you can subscribe or remove email addresses from the mailing list by using the "Membership Management" options included on the Mailman administration page.

Thank you.

5. golden_eyes

Thank you for your advice man, but what is your suggestion about the best mail server with the mailman? as I know the qmail and mailman is the best and is there any problem if I install the qmail with whm? if there is no problem how I can install it?

6. cPanelMichael

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

Qmail is not a supported mail transfer agent on a cPanel server; we only support and test functionality with the Exim MTA.

Thank you.

7. golden_eyes

Okay thank for your info :) but how I can prevent the users from sending to list@domain.com? I wanna restrict it and I wanna only my email to receive from and deliver to the address

8. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello golden_eyes,

Under Privacy Options > Subscription rules, you have the radio button choice to "Require approval" for "What steps are required for subscription?" along with other options there on keeping the list private.

You also have these options under Privacy Options > Sender filters area - "By default, should new list member postings be moderated?" and "Action to take for postings from non-members for which no explicit action is defined."

Thanks.

9. golden_eyes

Tristan :) there is a lot of configuration, so is there any topic to explain each variable?

I created a maillist@domain.com and subscribed with 2 address, I tried to send a message to the maillist@domain.com from my email but the message didn't delivered to the subscribed.

So my question is I should send an email from maillist@domain.com in order to deliver to all address in the list or there is sub configuration also? and where I can found the pending message waiting for approval?

10. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The List Manager's documentation is at this location:

GNU/Mailman Administrator's Manual

It explains each option available for mailman.

For the pending messages, these are in the "Tend to Pending Moderator Requests" link.

11. golden_eyes

aha great, still the second part of my question, I should send the message from my mailist@domain.com or I can sent it from any email address? because I sent 3 messages and I clicked on Tend but it gave There are no pending requests. Click here to reload this page.

12. cPanelTristan

Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You would send the message from your subscribed email account to maillist@domain.com and should not have any email account called maillist@domain.com in cPanel > Email Accounts configured (mailman uses that account and another user cannot have an email account by the same name as the mailing list).