The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mailman sending lots of emails???

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by ciqala, Apr 24, 2003.

1. ciqala

ciqala Member

on my server i have had someone repeatedly use the recent formmail exploit to send spam.

I have locked down all instances of the formmail script but now in my exim_mainlog i am getting litterally hundreds of these...

they all appear to be running as user mailman.

is this another exploit i am not familiar with that they spammer may have moved to once the formmail thing no longer worked.
    I also turned off allow user nobody to send mails off the server. could this just be the server catching up somehow.

I know about 0.5% of everything there is to know with linux administration and this is a little worrying so any help/advice is very much appreciated.

p.s. the only mail sent from this server is one or two messages a day from my friends site and any personal messages i send myself neither of which are the source of any of these emails.

Regards
    Ciqala

2. vishal

vishal Well-Known Member

/scripts...

Hello,

Look in to /scripts and find mailman. I suppose running the fix should solve it!!! :)

look for mailman in /scripts

Hope this helps!!!

Regards,
    :cool:

3. ciqala

ciqala Member

I think this is not spam (that was just me getting jittery after recent problems)

I think somethings gone pearshaped as every minute I am getting an email from the cron daemon with the following subject:
    Cron <mailman@server> /usr/bin/python -S /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/cron/qrunner

and containing:
    python: Objects/typeobject.c:3677: slotptr: Assertion `offset < ((size_t) &((etype *)0)->as_buffer)' failed.

anyone know what this means?

thanks in advance

Ciq