The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mailman templates and where is it all anyway?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by JohnYM, Feb 4, 2007.

1. JohnYM

JohnYM Registered

I've installed Mailman with cpanel and then been editing the html templates so the list pages look the same as the rest of the site.

The trouble is that the Mailman admin page for doing this only lists 3 files to change:
    - general list info page
    - subscribe results page
    - user specific options page

and when you've done all these there are still odd pages in between that come up with the original formatting (eg. one that asks users for their password).

I've been digging around in the various Mailman info sources and come to the understanding that there's a hierarchy of directories that it looks in for templates (permutations of site, language and list).

Trouble is, I can't see the installation at all - I only seem to have access to it via the webserver setup that I gather points directories at scripts somewhere else.

Optimistically, I was wishing I knew if there are other template files and what their names are, so that I can try using the provided edit function to see if it will change them; my rationale is the urls being of the format
    Code:
    http://domain/mailman/edithtml/listname/templatename.html
    Does anyone know if this approach works and if so what the other filenames are? Or failing that, where the installation actually is?

cheers

(if anyone cares, here's the list: http://gravitas-events.co.uk/mailman/listinfo/gravitas-list_gravitas-events.co.uk)

2. JohnYM

JohnYM Registered

I still want to know about the templates, but I've been able to find out where the installation is; it's a common one in
    Code:
    /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/
    so the template hierarchy I found is presumably under here
    and I guess the edithtml function puts them in the top one.

Does it support any more filenames than
    listinfo.html - General list information page
    subscribe.html - Subscribe results page
    options.html - User specific options page
    subscribeack.txt - Welcome email text file

3. brianc

brianc Well-Known Member

You can customize all the templates on a list by list basis or on a server level if you have access to mailman's backend.

The templates are kept here: /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/templates/en

If you want a specific template modified for a particular list then place the modified template in
    /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/lists/<listname>/en/templatename.txt

You will need to use a text editor such as pico to do this. There is no gui tool to edit most of the templates as you have found out. However if you have access to the mailman server's backend then you can do the above with great success using just a text editor.

Hope that helps.

4. JohnYM

JohnYM Registered

Thanks, Brian; that confirms what I guessed... but I don't seem to have access to the mailman backend.

I was hoping that if I try feeding the other template names to the gui editor it might just pick them up anyway... worth a try at least (and I might win the lottery this week too!)

Trouble is, I only know the file names of the ones it's showing me. Would you mind posting a list (of the .../templates/en directory) so I can try them out?

Thanks

5. brianc

brianc Well-Known Member

Sure:

adminunsubscribeack.txt
    archlistend.html
    bounce.txt
    headfoot.html
    nomoretoday.txt
    probe.txt
    unsubauth.txt
    admlogin.html
    archliststart.html
    checkdbs.txt
    help.txt
    options.html
    refuse.txt
    unsub.txt
    admindbdetails.html
    approve.txt
    archtocentry.html
    convert.txt
    invite.txt
    postack.txt
    roster.html
    userpass.txt
    admindbpreamble.html
    archidxentry.html
    archtoc.html
    cronpass.txt
    listinfo.html
    postauth.txt
    subauth.txt
    verify.txt
    admindbsummary.html
    archidxfoot.html
    archtocnombox.html
    disabled.txt
    masthead.txt
    postheld.txt
    subscribeack.txt
    adminsubscribeack.txt
    archidxhead.html
    article.html
    emptyarchive.html
    newlist.txt
    private.html
    subscribe.html

Let me know if your workaround works. I would also recommend joining the mailman user list at http://www.list.org/lists.html. There are some mailman masters on that list and they are very helpful.

6. JohnYM

JohnYM Registered

Thanks for that, Brian.

I've diligently tried each of them and guess what - only the four we already knew about work :rolleyes:

I dare say I'll not be winning the lottery this week either ;)

I'll be off to join the list.org mailing list and see if there are any bright ideas and in the meantime see if I can persuade my hosting company to give me upload access to the directory for my list.

I'll try & remember to update this with the outcome for posterity but if anyone reading this at a later date wants to know what happened, feel free to prod me!

7. brianc

brianc Well-Known Member

Or you can sign up for my mailman hosting service and I will post your customized text to your list for you.

PM me if your interested.