The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mailman welcome email

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by imagic, Oct 22, 2003.

1. imagic

imagic Well-Known Member

There's a welcome email that mailman sends out to new subscribers that tells people how to post to the list.

But if the list is a newsletter only list, you don't want your subscribers to get this message. I found these instructions at the mailman faq site:

How to create a customized welcome message that avoids mentioning how to post to the list:

In Mailman 2.1.x you can customize the welcome message. Create a directory lists/<yourlist>/en (assuming English :) and copy templates/subscribeack.txt to this directory. Then edit this file for your specific wording. Mailman will use this specialized template for the English welcome messages.

However, it appears that this assumes the list is installed in the users directory, rather than the way it's set up on cpanel.

Does anybody know of a way to create a customized welcome message on an individual account user basis?

2. imagic

imagic Well-Known Member

Let me clarify. Does anybody know of a way for the customer to easily do this themselves?

3. casey

casey Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Mailman welcome email

Unfortunately, no. You could get your customer to create the file, though and then upload it for them. It does work, because I used a custom e-mail for my own list...:)

4. zlehtito

zlehtito Registered

So for example:
    1. I must create a new dir "lists/nameoflist/en/templates" under "public_html"
    2. Than make new file "subscribeack.txt" and fill it with text I want

Is this corect?

What other txt files resides in templates? I'm on virtual hosting and I don't have a choice to browse to usr/ & those root specific dirs. no permissions.

Thanks for replies in advance!

5. casey

casey Well-Known Member

No, you can't do it without root permissions. Your host must do this for you. The files do not go in your home directory, they go in the main mailman directory.

6. zlehtito

zlehtito Registered

Thanks for reply!

I need to ask my host to upload my custom mailman messages for each list then?