The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mailman won't work w/o cpanel?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Zvi, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Zvi

Zvi Member

Hi All,

I assume mailman is a separate process. Still, when I shutdown cpsrvd it kills mailman with it.
    I figured I wouldn't want running cpanel all the time, just enable it via ssh if I need to do something there, but I do need mailing list.
    is there a way to decouple cpanel and mailman so that one doesn't kill the other?

P.S. Any alternatives to to mailman for email based list? All I need is a list that handles 10-15 ppl...

2. thewebhosting

thewebhosting Well-Known Member

I do not think mailman will work without cPanel. Still not sure.

3. Eric

Eric Administrator
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Howdy,

cPanel installed mailman, and maintains mailman on the system. So mailman get started by cPanel. There isn't really a rule of thumb for this since some services start/restart outside of cPanel and others don't.

You can install mailman outside of cPanel, and there are other alternatives, but I'm pretty sure that two instances of mailman are going to give each other trouble.

Thanks!

4. Zvi

Zvi Member

Thanks!
    I don't think I am that good to configure mailman :)

I'm thinking of moving all mail to google appsand let them handle it. Then I can shut down imap, exim, dovecote, mailman altogether and save 50-60 megs of memory on that alone for my vps.