The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MailMan

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by PCZero, Apr 6, 2015.

1. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

I have many clients who use MailMan mailing lists and the process of being proactive about upadtes etc I have noticed cpanel seems to be lagging behind the current version of that software. For example according to the cpanel change log, the last update of MailMan was as follows...

Change Log for 11.44.0.2
    Thursday, December 04, 2014 11:35 AM
    Fixed case 99393: Updated mailman to 2.1.18-1.

Version 2.1.19.x was released long before that date and 2.1.20 is the current stable release. So basically this app is two versions behind current.

Not only that, but there is a major new release coming in the next few weeks at Mailman migrates over to the 3.x version tree. This new major version has a LOT of very enhanced features that are highly desirable. So whoever is in charge of ensuring that 3rd party software updates are implemented into cPanel PLEASE expedite this one through the pipeline... It would very greatly be appreciated!

2. brianc

brianc Well-Known Member

Once Mailman 3 reaches stable, will cPanel update the Mailman 2 branch to it? Since this is a major overhaul of Mailman and requires additional apps to run it, I am concern that Mailman might no longer be offered with cPanel/WHM.

Thanks.

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

We evaluate releases of third-party applications included with cPanel (e.g. Mailman). Changes are often required to ensure compatibility with cPanel, as it's not simply a matter of replacing files. Internal case number 182113 is open for the inclusion of Mailman version 2.1.20, but there's no specific timeline for it's inclusion at this time.

Thank you.

4. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

Thanks Michael. I am very aware that it is not a simple drop in replacement. I realize it takes quite a bit of evaluation etc. I would ask that you guys actaully drop the plans for 2.1.20 and go straight to the 3.x branch though which is being released in two weeks. No need to waste time on what will be a major version behind before it is even implemented into cpanel. That was crux of my request in the first place when it boils down to the matter. Resources are limited and to spend time adding in 2.1.20 which is far inferior to the new 3.x re;lease woudl be less than an ideal use of time and effort IMHO.

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I suggest opening a feature request for the inclusion of MailMan 3.x once it's released:

Submit A Feature Request

This way you can track the progress of the feature, and receive input from our developers.

Thank you.

6. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

Sorry for the extended delay in a reply. I have been away on a cruise. I just submitted the request and it is on moderation! MailMan 3.0 has been released now and it is vastly superior to the 2.x series. Please do whatever possible to expedite the upgrade to the new 3.x series.

7. mathuaerknedam

While I am eager to be using Mailman 3, I'm also expecting that it will require some adjustment for my users, and I'd like to be able to properly prepare them for the change. Is there any way to track CPanel's progress on this so that I have some notification when it it will be an specific CPanel release? I'm not asking for a release date or even a ballpark timeframe (though those would be welcome), I'd just like to know before the overnight update process takes it live.

8. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

From my understanding most of the changes have to do with the administration of lists ratehr than the day to day use thereof. I do not think anything changes as far as the normal posting to and replying to the list in either normal or digest mode.

9. mathuaerknedam

That's my impression as well, but I have many users who are list administrators, and several of them aren't that comfortable with the task as it is. For some of the lists, the archives get quite a bit of use, and Mailman 3 introduces significant changes to archives. Some administrators will have documentation to update, and will want to notify list members in advance of the actual upgrade.

10. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

Makes sense. I do not use archives at all for my lists and most of them are announcement only lists which greatly simplify things. I have been waiting a long tome for some of these changes to be made (like the customizable UI for every page)... I am very excited to see cPanel implement MM 3.0.

11. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member