Mails Temporarily Disappear

Belroe

Registered
Feb 4, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
I have a client with a few mailboxes that have experienced their mails suddenly disappear, then come back in an hour or so.
Anyone have an Idea why this would happen?

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! It may depend on where the client is checking for the emails. Is this behavior happening in webmail or is it happening with a tool like Outlook or Thunderbird?

To me, "disappear" would imply they saw the messages, then noticed them missing, then saw them back again, which sounds more like odd client behavior than an issue with the webserver itself, but let me know what application they were using when this happened and that might give me more details on how we can troubleshoot.

Belroe

Registered
Feb 4, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey there! It may depend on where the client is checking for the emails. Is this behavior happening in webmail or is it happening with a tool like Outlook or Thunderbird?

To me, "disappear" would imply they saw the messages, then noticed them missing, then saw them back again, which sounds more like odd client behavior than an issue with the webserver itself, but let me know what application they were using when this happened and that might give me more details on how we can troubleshoot.

They check mail with a program called goldmine, as well as using webmail. When they see them disappear, they check the web mail and they are gone there as well. It happened yesterday to one of the users, and I logged in and checked, and yes they were gone in round cube. little over an hour later they were back. haven't had it happen with any other customers.

cPRex

Jurassic Moderator
Staff member
Oct 19, 2014
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
That's odd, and I'm afraid I don't have a good explanation for that.

The only thing I can recommend checking would be connection data in /var/log/maillog to see if there is a connection from one of their clients that may be accessing the mail from Goldmine during that time and that is causing some type of issue.