The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MailScanner Benefits

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by hergy80, Dec 3, 2005.

1. hergy80

hergy80 Well-Known Member

I've seen a lot of differnet posts about people using mailscanner. What are the benefits of MailScanner over the ClamAV Connector and other built in features in cpanel/cpanel pro?

2. ntwaddel

ntwaddel Well-Known Member

it scans for other stuff like phishing, exploits, spam, you name it :)

3. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Indeed. It also does filename and filetype checking which also traps viruses and unwanted content from emails which clamav might miss. It is also highly customisable which makes it great for people offering web hosting and wanting to tailor the scanning regime to suit each users needs.

4. fred123123

fred123123 Well-Known Member

and with mailwatch is just wonderfull... YOu have a webinterface where you can see "live" the mails that's going in and out... You can then look at the headers of the mails, see stats...
    Report as spam to your antispam system... etc ...

you'll love mailscanner with mailwatch :)

5. hergy80

I've installed the cpanel pro with the clam av, as well as some RBL, HELO checks, etc.. I know Chirpy's script says to remove the clam install from cpanel, do I need to remove the other modifications as well?

6. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You can leave other modifications in exim.conf ig you wish. It does reduce the options available where configuration is concerned, but it will alleviate load from MailScanner if you're already rejecting email at the RCPT stage using those ACLs.

7. hergy80

I like the sound of this, as well as the mailwatch features. I've decided I dont' want to hose too much up to go with Chirpy's service, which is quite a good deal for not having to deal with headaches of customers who cannot send mail because I botched the install! :D

8. hergy80

I must say that I'm quite impressed with mailscanner. It allows better control through individual domains and makes changes much easier, and with the mailwatch, it's so easy to monitor the spam/viruses making their way through and get a better overall picture as to what is going on.

And Chirpy's company quickly installed it, without any problems and I must say was well worth the time it would have taken me to try and muddle around. They even worked around the changes I had in place and converted settings to work with mailscanner as I requested! Top Notch Service!!

9. BraveX

BraveX Well-Known Member

I'm also happy with it so far except that it appears to be a big memory hog!

10. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

It can be, but doesn't have to be. A lot depends on how it is has been tuned and what additional things you have running with it. We have had it running without issue on a clients server also running cPanel which only had 128MB of RAM :eek: Not a configuration I would recommend, but with only a few domains hosted it worked just fine.

As many will tell you, using SpamAssassin through spamd can also be a memory hog and can cause emails to be rejected when overloaded. That won't happen with MailScanner.

11. abarkow

abarkow Registered

It's that good

Just do it the "Chirpy way" and don't ask questions :)

Better yet, have Chirpy install it for you and you get WHM/Cpanel functionality you won't get by DIY.

Best 35 clams I've spent...

12. hergy80

That's what I did. Having mailwatch also allowed me to notice a spammer before too much damage was caused. I was so happy with the installation from Chirpy's company, I ordered my second server to get it added on!

13. rmbnet

rmbnet Well-Known Member

well worth it here too.. he's done a bit of work on our servers as well.. top notch..

14. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Agreed.

Funny there are a lot of threads like this. Maybe he should get a cPanel MVP award this year or something?

Feature request anyone? :p

Thanks again for all you do Jonathan.

My only mistake was not offering this as an added option to accounts and charging for it. :eek:

15. spark

spark Registered

I installed it from chirpy's website myself and bought the frontend and I'll tell ya it sure works wonderful. I can see throu the frontend what is going throu my my mail in whm and it saves alot of time. It tells you exactly what is spam and what isn't.
    I used to get alot of spam going to my sales account. And now nothing, the mailscanner picks it up right away and won't let it go throu. And tags it as spam.

Best service for your money and I would recommend it anyday.