Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

mailscanner dead?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by dory36, Apr 30, 2004.

1. dory36

dory36 Well-Known Member

Mailscanner seems to have stopped workingafter working fine for a few weeks.

If I do a ps -ax I see about 5-6 jobs like:
    17046 ? S 0:58 /usr/bin/perl -I/usr/mailscanner/lib /usr/mailscanner/bin/MailScanner /usr/mailscanner/etc/MailScanner.conf

But no system messages for a week or so, and no other evidence of it working.

Any suggestionson where to look?

Thanks - Bill

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Are all the exim processes running? Have you tried restarting MailScanner and exim?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. dory36

dory36 Well-Known Member

Both have been restarted several times. No apparent errors, just no alerts. But I have one "lucky" user who gets about a MB of spam a day, so I can't believe there is nothing for MailScanner to catch.

4. dory36

dory36 Well-Known Member

Update: The problem isn't MailScanner -- the problem is that /etc/antivirus.exim is bouncing messages before they get to MailScanner. I turned off /etc/antivirus.exim and MailScanner is again doing its job.

Shouldn't MailScanner see the messages first, so I can still run /etc/antivirus.exim?

It is good that the messages aren't getting through, but I would like the features that MailScanner's configuration offers:

- Message to recipient & admin about what was blocked
    - Quarantine of attachments so legit ones can be released
    - No notifications to senders, so forged address spam doesn't clog up my queue

Should I continue to run without /etc/antivirus.exim, or is there a way to get it to run after MailScanner?

Thanks!
    Bill

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bother using it, I don't. It's rather crude compared to MailScanner which does something similar anyway which makes antivirus.exim redundant.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...