The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mailscanner dead?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by dory36, Apr 30, 2004.

1. dory36

dory36 Well-Known Member

Mailscanner seems to have stopped workingafter working fine for a few weeks.

If I do a ps -ax I see about 5-6 jobs like:
    17046 ? S 0:58 /usr/bin/perl -I/usr/mailscanner/lib /usr/mailscanner/bin/MailScanner /usr/mailscanner/etc/MailScanner.conf

But no system messages for a week or so, and no other evidence of it working.

Any suggestionson where to look?

Thanks - Bill

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Are all the exim processes running? Have you tried restarting MailScanner and exim?

3. dory36

dory36 Well-Known Member

Both have been restarted several times. No apparent errors, just no alerts. But I have one "lucky" user who gets about a MB of spam a day, so I can't believe there is nothing for MailScanner to catch.

4. dory36

dory36 Well-Known Member

Update: The problem isn't MailScanner -- the problem is that /etc/antivirus.exim is bouncing messages before they get to MailScanner. I turned off /etc/antivirus.exim and MailScanner is again doing its job.

Shouldn't MailScanner see the messages first, so I can still run /etc/antivirus.exim?

It is good that the messages aren't getting through, but I would like the features that MailScanner's configuration offers:

- Message to recipient & admin about what was blocked
    - Quarantine of attachments so legit ones can be released
    - No notifications to senders, so forged address spam doesn't clog up my queue

Should I continue to run without /etc/antivirus.exim, or is there a way to get it to run after MailScanner?

Thanks!
    Bill

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I wouldn't bother using it, I don't. It's rather crude compared to MailScanner which does something similar anyway which makes antivirus.exim redundant.