Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

MailScanner E-Mail Virus Scanner version 4.28.6 starting

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by Solokron, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Solokron

Solokron Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    rpm -e mailscanner
    error: package mailscanner is not installed

*Hah. Looks like someone is playing with this server's time. This was entered as a reply to the initial post.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Solokron

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    tailing the exim_mainlog I am receiving a flood of:

MailScanner E-Mail Virus Scanner version 4.28.6 starting...

To my knowledge I am only using exim and clamav so I am not sure why MailScanner is showing up nor the flood.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Solokron

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I have located a /usr/mailscanner/ directory. My concern is removing it without removing the reference to it. I have cleared out the exim rules via WHM advance edit. Forced a reinstall of exim and spamassassin yet the exim_mainlog is still showing repeated

MailScanner[xxxx]: MailScanner E-Mail Virus Scanner version 4.28.6 starting...

entries.

4. Solokron

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    For reference, I renamed /usr/mailscanner to /usr/mailscanner-old and forced a reinstall of exim once more and it appears that I am no longer receiving the MailScanner E-Mail Virus Scanner version 4.28.6 starting lines in the exim_mainlog anymore oddly enough.

5. Solokron

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Although the directory no longer exists, after 24 hours under WHM CPU/Memory/MySQL Usage I am receiving:

mailnull 23.93 1.38 0.0
    Top Process %CPU 185 /usr/bin/perl -I/usr/mailscanner/lib /usr/mailscanner/bin/MailScanner /usr/mailscanner/etc/MailScanner.conf
    Top Process %CPU 141 /usr/bin/perl -I/usr/mailscanner/lib /usr/mailscanner/bin/MailScanner /usr/mailscanner/etc/MailScanner.conf
    Top Process %CPU 116 /usr/bin/perl -I/usr/mailscanner/lib /usr/mailscanner/bin/MailScanner /usr/mailscanner/etc/MailScanner.conf