The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mailscanner+spambox ?

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by krystalx, Aug 13, 2005.

1. krystalx

krystalx Active Member

Heya,

my clients use the functionality of a spambox with the current cpanel server. Is there a way to move to a mailscanner installation and still utilise the spambox feature?

Thanks
    Shaun

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

AFAIK, no. With MailScanner you'd setup a separate POP3 account or forwarder and then set that domain to redirect mail identified as spam to that account.

3. krystalx

krystalx Active Member

Chirpy,

in your opinion is mailscanner better at catching spam and managing it rather than just using spamassassin and spambox ?

I use the sare rules and all the rules from the spamninja site and i have about 40 or so different ruleset files which i add to every day on the servers but i still seem to get a fair amount of spam through.

What do you think is best? I was considering getting you to upgrade me but i dont want to if it wont improve things.

Thanks
    Shaun

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

You can still use the SARE rules when using SpamAssassin through MailScanner instead of through the cPanel configuration. I'm biased as to how much better MailScanner is, but if you search for MailScanner on the forums you'll find other peoples opinions.

5. krystalx

krystalx Active Member

Chirpy,

I wasn't asking other peoples opinions i was asking yours. I am familiar with the search function ;)

what do you think?

Shaun

#5 krystalx, Aug 13, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2005
  6. krystalx

krystalx Active Member

I guess also my next question would be - with your mailscanner installation does it support appending a footer at the bottom of an email that pass's through the servers so it can say something like "this email has been scanned by blah" ?

Also if i wanted to get you to install mailscanner, would you add more rules onto mine to bring them uptodate with what you have?

Does the forwarding feature to a emailaccount work if i have 100 users and i want to forward each of there email onto a seperate box ?

Thanks
    Shaun

7. krystalx

krystalx Active Member

Chirpy,

You still around? Can you answer me when you got a sec.

thanks
    shaun

8. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Hi,

We find that most people attain around 98%+ successful identification of spam, with very low false-positives and the exim deny ACL probably blocking a large portion of the spam for those using :fail:. They usually see around 100% virus blocking when using ClamAV.

You can add additional system wide spamassassin rules if you wish into /etc/mail/spamassassin/local/cf (as you can now) and MailScanner will use them when it runs spamassassin.

You can configure on a per cPanel account database through our front-end to forward email to any email account that the cPanel user chooses for their domains. Or, you can manually configure MailScanner to do this on a per email address as the server admin.

9. adapter

adapter Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC