The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mailscanner Whitelisting

Discussion in 'cPanel Developers' started by SageBrian, Mar 1, 2006.

1. SageBrian

SageBrian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Using ConfigServers Mailscanner/Mailwatch.

I've added some email address to the whitelist. These were addresses (on the server) that were having problems with their Cable IPs being blacklisted. So, in order to help these users get their mail to others in the office, I whitelisted them.

Problem is, it seems that whitelisting is also letting them GET spam.

I thought whitelisting simply allowed that mail to come in from that address. It shouldn't be stopping the filtering. Is this a bug, where we can't whitelist an address that is on it's own server?

Any ideas on how to allow a user to not get blocked by his own server, without opening up his addresses to spam?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I'd suggest opening a ticket on our helpdesk since this isn't supported by cPanel ;)

3. SageBrian

SageBrian Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I like to research and ask here first to see if anyone else had the issue. That way, if anyone in the future has the issue, they know someone else had it also. :)

I'll put that ticket in this week sometime, eventually.

4. aeroweb

aeroweb Well-Known Member

Hoping someone could help with a whitelisting question.

In mailscanner there is the following whitelisting option: "Allowed Format: *@domain.com or name@domain.com or IP address, only one entry per line"

My question is, how does this feature work? For example:

- If I whitelist user@gmail.com this would probably whitelist users with the sender line in the header as user@gmail.com or does this also take into account the "reply to" line in the header?

- I would guess that whitelisting "*@gmail.com" would work in a similar manner and would look at the email header in some way rather than whitelisting the mailserver by resolving the domain?

- My guess for whitelist via IP would be that it works differently; I am assuming this is the IP of the mailserver and not the senders domain (for instance gmail.com will resolve different than its mail server which will be something like wx-out-0506.google.com [66.249.82.225]) .

- Can I whitelist a hostname (for instance gmail has multiple mail servers, is it possible to do *.google.com)?

I may have answered some of my own question here but I just want a confirmation.

Thanks

5. rhenderson

rhenderson Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes you can whitelist a whole hostname *@google.com, I have not tried *@*.google.com but I would assume it would work. But if you whitelist a domain afik it will skip the scanning of that because it is whitelisted. The only other work around I can think would be to have them enable boxtrapper.