The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MailScanner??

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by tom_taylor, Nov 21, 2006.

1. tom_taylor

tom_taylor Active Member

Hiya

Could we include MailScanner as standard to work with SpamAssassin and ClamAV?

Its a bit of a pain to install, but would be great if it was pre-installed and can be managed through WHM :)

Probably get alot more admins and hosting providors purchasing licenses for WHM with its added benefits of kicking back Spam and other nasties :)

I have it installed on my own server (which doesn't run WHM) with SpamAssassin and ClamAV and its fantastic!

Would be a good feature to let each user within Cpanel accounts manage the blocklists, with default lists to use, etc

Hope we could implement this!

Tom

2. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

Log a feature request with cPanel.

3. Stefaans

Stefaans Well-Known Member

I agree, it would be nice to have MailScanner option to have in a default WHM installation. What century that will happen, is an open question. Pity that the cPanel developers sometimes seem so out of touch with what their users want/need.

I have been thinking of installing Chirpy's MailScanner solution (www.configserver.com), but am a bit worried about 1) possible additional load on the server (compared to using Exiscan) and 2) the idea that it is not supported by the cPanel team. :confused:

4. mctDarren

mctDarren Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    My load DID in fact go up after the switch, but not as much as I had expected. And the results are well worth the increased load. Like anything else, it's all a matter of perspective. Typical load increases for us have been negligible, but of course it's all a matter of perspective - depending on your email flow and resources available. I have yet to have a box buckle under the weight of a MS set up. (Quickly knocking on formica desk)

5. Stefaans

Thanks for you your comments Webtiva.
    Well that does it then. I will install MS on one of servers this weekend and see how it goes next week. I am looking forward to using Chirpy's WHM addon for MS -- isn't his stuff just great? :)
    Auch, that's my head you're knocking on! :D

6. SoftDux

SoftDux Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Can anyone who has used mailscanner tell us how much load it adds to the server?

7. Stefaans

You can find the "Chirpy's official" thread on MailScanner at http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=28186

Quoting Chirpy on the server load:
    Yes, that is not putting any numbers to it, but I think it does offer a good hint ;)

8. kdarray

kdarray Well-Known Member

softdux, my loads with MS have increased between 25-30% or so. Really all depends on your mail traffic.

9. adapter

adapter Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

sorry buy mailscanner is a alterative to spamassasin or i can use both on my server?

10. mctDarren

mctDarren Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Mailscanner can control SA for you, as well as offering a rule based scanning system. For those who say loads have increased dramatically, I have to wonder if you have truly tried to tweak it. Our average load went up about 15-20% with the stock MS offering (Chirpy's) but after configuring it to our traffic it's down to about 10%.