Mailserver Selection doesn't show

Yossi

Sep 12, 2015
Israel
cPanel Access Level
Root Administrator
Hey,

I have a server in which I enabled the dovecot mail service, and I wish to disable it.
I tried to look for "Mailserver Selection" and I couldn't find it in our panel, though it exists in other panels we have.

Any idea how to disable the mail server on our system?

Thanks a lot!

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Where can I disable the dovecat server completely?
I don't want a mail service on this WHM server..
Hello,

Dovecot is the local mail delivery agent in cPanel 58, as mentioned on the cPanel 58 Release Notes:

Dovecot as local mail delivery agent
cPanel & WHM now uses Dovecot as the local mail delivery agent. Exim receives inbound messages, connects to Dovecot via LMTP (Local Mail Transport Protocol), and Dovecot delivers the message. If LMTP is unavailable, the system uses the dovecot_lda mail delivery agent to deliver messages.
In earlier versions of cPanel & WHM, Exim acted as both the mail transfer agent and the local delivery agent.
This may cause some performance issues with BoxTrapper-protected mailboxes, but overall mailserver performance should improve.

Note:

The system enables Dovecot by default. If you disable Dovecot, your server will disable IMAP and POP3 message delivery services, but Dovecot's authentication system and local mail delivery (LMTP) will continue to run.
You can disable the "IMAP" and "POP3" services via:

"WHM Home » Service Configuration » Service Manager"

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks!

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
Understood.. so now I need dovecot + exim running in order to send mails, am I correct?
It's not required to send emails via SMTP (That's still handled by Exim), but note that Dovecot's authentication system and local mail delivery (LMTP) will continue to run if you disable IMAP and POP3 message delivery services.

Thank you.