The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MailWatch release message

Discussion in 'cPanel Developers' started by Mat-d-rat, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Mat-d-rat

Mat-d-rat Well-Known Member

I've been trying to get the MailWatch to release messages as expected. e.g. I select the message and select which bits to release and done. I've edited the conf.php to ensure there is a valid sender email, and put that sender (quarantine@xxx.com) into the whitelist. Now when I release a message it comes through but not as the original attachements. E.G a zip file is renamed to .txt? Some are o.k, e.g. the PHP files I was sent. Which setting am I missing to get this to release correctly from MailWatch?
    Currently the Quarantine part is :
    Silvent Virus=No
    Modified Body=No
    Whole Message=Yes
    Whole Message As Queue Files=No

2. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

The problem lies in the method that MailScanner actually releases them. If you were to open the text file, you'll likely see that it's the text of a queue file, just as it would be if it were awaiting delivery. What it does it send that file as it is, rather than dumping it back into the queue for delivery.

If this is what you're seeing, then there's a fix you can slap on:

http://forums.cpanel.net/showthread.php?t=48373

3. Mat-d-rat

Thanks for that - I did spot the message, but I've never liked hacking files, becasue once the next update comes along your back to square one :( - I'll have to live with it for now.

4. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

Well, with MS that's something you don't have to worry about... it's not auto-updating. :)

5. Mat-d-rat

Yea, but I have updated it a couple of time :) and my memory is not so good :)

6. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

One thing you can try, to work around the update problem, is a script that compares two files to see if they're the same. If not, the script then replaces the new file with the old one. Pretty simple to setup. There are several posts about doing that here, mainly concerned with backup scripts.

7. Mat-d-rat

Thanks for your help, for now I've applied your patch :) but I forgot to change the store as files bit, so won't know if it works till I next need to let something through :)

8. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

Depending on your config, you could try sending an .exe file as an attachment. If it's blocked by default, it should get caught in the quarantine.

9. Mat-d-rat

Well, I got an email today that I've been waiting for desperatly! It's was a ZIP file that contained a SYS driver for a tape drive I'm working on... AV decided it was a virus (is there anything that it says isn't a virus!) - so I went to release it, and of course it's been deleted :( sometimes this mailscanner is more hassle than it's worth!

10. Lyttek

Lyttek Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the zip file was named similar to driver.sys.zip which caused MS to classify it as a virus. I had to disable that checking as well, because that's simply draconian. Just because there are two . in the filename, it assumes we're trying to hide the real extension.

It can be frustrating getting it tweaked just the way you like it. Once done, however, it works great. :)