The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Main E-mail Account

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by JBWhitley, Nov 23, 2003.

1. JBWhitley

JBWhitley Registered

I have an e-mail account for the user access. (if my login for my CPanel is "johnny" and a password of "nukem"). How can I make this a blackhole so that the account does not get any e-mail?

2. kirkvan

kirkvan Member

Aloha,

I also need to know how to do this. Currently, I've been forwarding the Main Account to an existing account. However, I learned that, although the mail forwards, it remains in the Main Account.

In addition, does setting the Main Account to :blackhole: -- if in indeed there's a way to do this -- mean the user will not receive notices of bounced email when they send from their other usernames/accounts?

Thanks,
    Kirk out.

3. critter

critter Well-Known Member

Don't use the forward function, you can define a new default from the mail manager menu, this will stop all mail destined for the "main account" and re-direct it to the account you specify.

The new default account will have the facility to :blackhole: if you want that, otherwise you will find all failed messages in that box.

4. kirkvan

kirkvan Member

I appreciate your reply, Gerry.

Just to make sure I'm clear: When I establish a "Default Address"--whether it's :blackhole: or forwarded--mail stops landing in the what cPanel X calls the "Main Account," correct?

Thanks,
    Kirk

5. shaun

shaun Well-Known Member

With out a blackhole you will still receive certian types of email into that account. Anytime the system feels it needs to email you about somthing (say cron output when you dont specify mailto:) it will dump into this account. Also any person who sends email to user@server.hostname.com will also go into that account (why or how somebody would get that address is unknown).

Being able to permanantly redirect all email from the main system account to another email account or to blackhole it would be nice.

6. kirkvan

kirkvan Member

Thanks for your reply, Shaun.

From what you said, it sounds like you're saying:

1.) One still needs to check email on their "Main Account";

2.) It's currently not possible--or perhaps, even desirable--to set the Main Account as :blackhole:;

3.) That the information that "critter" offered, although appreciated, is not accurate: "Don't use the forward function, you can define a new default from the mail manager menu, this will stop all mail destined for the "main account" and re-direct it to the account you specify.";

4.) One could forward from the Main Account to an existing email account, so they received the system notices, but the mail would pile up in the Main Account and not be deleted.

Correct?

Thanks,
    Kirk

7. chakky

chakky Well-Known Member

Hey do this:

Set the catchall so that all mails addressed to nonexistent accounts will go to /dev/null

you could also set the mails to

Mainuseraccount : /dev/null

and that should also make sure, you get no mails there :)

8. critter

Thanks for that Shaun, I was under the impression that changing the default told Cpanel to shift everything, didn't realise that I still need to be checking it, thas a bummer, guess I'll have to revisit that problem.

But ... since I changed the default in my accounts I have yet to recieve anything in those boxes. So I guess that those sort of things don't happen very often.

9. kirkvan

kirkvan Member

Gerry, I enjoyed your critterplaces.com, by the way.

chakky, I'm a Linux Lightweight. Could you please describe, specifically, how to: "set Mainuseraccount : /dev/null"

Directory locations and filenames?

Thanks!

Kirk

10. critter

Glad to have brightened your day Kirk