The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

main mailbox

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by radioleft, Jul 21, 2005.

1. radioleft

radioleft Registered

Jul 5, 2005
    I have a customer setup with the domain name:
    The username is: elbowsru

Cpanel automatically set up the "main" mailbox as

This is useless as no one wants to use an email address like this.

Three questions about this:

1. Can I control how this is setup when a new account is provisioned? If so, how?

2. Now, that this domain is setup, can I change the main mailbox to something else?

3. Is there a way to set the Webmail link in cpanel so that it goes to a different mailbox other than the main mailbox? (Note: If you can change the main mailbox to something else, than it would be OK for the Webmail link to link there.

An Observation: Shouldn't the "main" mailbox be whatever mailbox the customer sets up as his contact email address and shouldn't THAT be the mailbox accesses when you click the webmail link from cpanel?

2. Stefaans

Stefaans Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2002
    Vancouver, Canada
    I have found the main email account somewhat awkward as well, but there are reasonable underlying reasons for its existence.

The account corresponds to the user account created in Linux (or Unix) that WHM creates and associates with the hosting account. You cannot change this behavior.

This is not viable. That email address could be on another server or with another ISP (I recommend using an off-server address in case a disk quota problem prevents mail delivery). How should Cpanel know how to log the user in to that mailbox?