The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

main name servers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by scwhite, Aug 6, 2012.

1. scwhite

scwhite Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have searched this and other forums and read install guides and can't seem to nail this.

I cleaned off a different panel on my server1.mydomain.com dedicated shared hosting server and had cpanel installed. My main website and whmcs/ssl is on a hostgator business account. I did this to have my site separate from my shared hosting server(s) so my customers can still reach us if there is a problem.

hostgator created a DNS zone and everything for our main domain (ns1,ns2, www, ftp etc is all of course set to my dedicated IP with hostgator.

The first time I logged in and powered up cpanel I left ns1 & ns2 as the main root name servers.

I'm unsure how to configure this setup to allow for my customers to list ns1 & ns2.maindomain.com as there name servers since these names servers now point to the hostgator IP and I cannot add zones on that shared hosting account.

I would appreciate any input? I do not want to do this wrong and screw up our main domains DNS :eek: but want to of cours allow our customers to point there domains to our name servers.

2. scwhite

scwhite Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    OK, since I do not want the shared webhosting server to affect my main domain, I registered ns3 & ns4 at my registrar and pointed them to my webhosting server server1. I also added A records in my DNS zone on gator pointing to it as well (I assume not needed as they resolve directly as registered nameservers). They both ping to the right ip. I then clicked the 'add A record' for each in WHM and both ns3 & ns4 now have A records in the WHM panel.

I then added an account and listed ns3 & ns4 as the name servers and went to that domains registrar ans pointed its nameservers to ns3 & ns4. The domain does not resolve yet. Does the above process look correct and sometime over the next x amount of hours it should start or am I missing something.

3. scwhite

scwhite Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have been working on this problem with a few folks on webhostingtalk and posted this over there to conclude:

well I just don't know what to think.

In desparation (simply everything seemed to be setup perfectly) I switched to MyDNS in WHM and everything now works perfectly. nslookup (from different box :) returns everything and I went to viewdns.info and all of the reports are flawless. Bind simply must be toast on this install but damned if I know why. ports are open both ways, A records in place etc..

I do know that when I run the whm update script for nameservers IPs the file nameserverips.yaml is updated with "--- {}". Thats troubling and I assume could be tied to the issue. There are a few unanswered threads on cpanel forums I came across in my search travels dating back to 2007 and the OP's had what sounded like the same problem.

I am not sure whether to trash the install and do it again from scratch or simply thank the DNS gods for allowing MyDNS to work on this box and move forward. I still have cloud linux, Softaculous and WHMxtra to install and hate having an issue I can't get to the bottom of BUT it does work properly and I see nothing else wrong and there were no messages in any of the logs files, just DNS query timeouts on Bind.

Might re-install but want to update this one if anyone else has the same issue. Had I seen this a couple of days ago I would have tried it :) just assumed the error was DNS config and problem would follow to MyDNS as well.

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

It's possible there is a configuration issue with Bind. The most common way this is noticeable is if you receive "connection refused" error messages when running the following command:

Code:
    # rndc status
    I suggest opening a support ticket so that we can take a closer look:

Submit A Ticket

You can post the ticket number here so we can track the issue.

Thank you.

5. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator