The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Main Shared IP question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JeremyV, Jan 18, 2003.

1. JeremyV

JeremyV Well-Known Member

Good evening. I had a quick question regarding the shared IP.

Ok, due to poor planning on my part, I initially had 2 IPs to work with on my server. So both were nameservers. Then the main shared IP was the same IP as the primary nameserver.

Ok, well after purchasing a few new IPs, I now want to set sites to use a seperate and dedicated IP for all new accounts. But my question is if I change this in WHM, does it automatically convert all of my existing sites to this IP? Or does just each new site take on this IP?

I'm assuming it only affects new sites, but I want to be sure because some of my customers are using SSL and subdomains using the SSL IP, and when I tried changing their site in WHM it messed up the SSL area and I had to edit it by hand.

So I would prefer if making the shared IP change wouldn't affect all existing accounts so I could carefully take my time and update those as necessary. I just don't want to have 25 unhappy customers when their site suddenly doesn't work :)

Thanks.

2. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Using a Dedicated IP for sites having their own SSL Cert, is always a good idea. In your situation though, if current Clients are assigned a Dedicated IP, they will need to update their SSL Cert -- as it is designed to use a &specific& IP address. So there is no way around &problems& for them.

New Clients can be assigned a Dedicated IP when their account is setup and have that IP registered to their SSL Cert. As the IP is Dedicated to their Domain Name, there is no problems with other, currently setup Domains.

You still use the same Nameservers for new Clients and just provide them with the Dedicated IP you've assigned them, when you setup their account.

3. JeremyV

JeremyV Well-Known Member

Thanks Rob, that clarifies that part. I assumed the SSL customers would require a little work to get them rolling, as expected :)

My last main concern then is, when I go into WHM and set the master shared IP address to something different, does it automatically update all existing accounts using the old master shared IP? Or will it only affect new signups.

Once I figure that out I will be all set. Thanks again.

4. host95

host95 Member

[quote:a886a57cd6][i:a886a57cd6]Originally posted by Website Rob[/i:a886a57cd6]

Using a Dedicated IP for sites having their own SSL Cert, is always a good idea. In your situation though, if current Clients are assigned a Dedicated IP, they will need to update their SSL Cert -- as it is designed to use a &specific& IP address. So there is no way around &problems& for them.

New Clients can be assigned a Dedicated IP when their account is setup and have that IP registered to their SSL Cert. As the IP is Dedicated to their Domain Name, there is no problems with other, currently setup Domains.

You still use the same Nameservers for new Clients and just provide them with the Dedicated IP you've assigned them, when you setup their account.[/quote:a886a57cd6]

Correction. Serverwide SSL certs are not issued with IP addresses but with domain names, specifically domain names that are in effect the &box& itself. So if your service domain is blah.com, simply create secure.blah.com or safe.blah.com, whatever, as the &server name.& Then your clients should be able to use https://secure.blah.com/theirdomain/ to connect with the cert. BUT I think they must use a dedicated IP for their own domain.

5. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    We seem to be bantering schematics here. ;)

Dedicated SSL requires a Domain Name using a Dedicated IP -- and is always the better solution. The Domain Name in the URL is the same one that shows on the SSL and gives people that &nice secure feeling& as, usually, no other Domain Name is setup to use as well.

If a Shared SSL is to be used, then anyone can be setup to use it (with the Hoster doing the setting up), but it will always show the Domain Name it is registered to. Looks odd to say the least and not very professional, when the URL and SSL show different Domain Names, but hey, for some that's OK and not a problem.

As far as changing the master shared IP address to something different, I have no experience to draw from and can only guess that Domains currently using it will be updated to the new one. If you don't &have to& change it Jeremy, then it's advisable to leave it the way it is. If unavoidable, be prepared to have all related sites go &off line& until you edit the httpd.conf file by hand.

It's a known fact that SysAdmin's have a bit of the &Gambler& within them.

Perk up the coffee and have at 'er! :p