The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Main Shared Virtual Host IP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by damainman, Dec 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. damainman

damainman Well-Known Member

On my server i have 5 ips, I'm using 3 to handle my nameservers and my main domain.

I have set up a ip addy for Main Shared Virtual Host IP in WHM, now the first account that is created using that shared ip, seems to gain ownership over that ip... and if u view the ip your able to view what the person in that account has published... I thought if setting up that ip was to allow users to again their account using ip/~user am i missing something, or reading things wrong? Do i need to set up an domain on that ip before i start setting up other users to it?

Thank you.

2. damainman

I tested more and /~user/ is availible on all ips except my main one..even my nameservers ip's........ is there a way to restrict a certain ip to be used for people not assigned a dedicated ip?
    for example:

http://xxx.xxx.xxx.101/~user1
    http://xxx.xxx.xxx.101/~user2
    http://xxx.xxx.xxx.101/~user3

Right now the first account i assign to Main Shared Virtual Host IP gets full control over that ip, and you can't access other users sites via /~user/ using that ip...however u can view /~user/ from ALL other ips listed on my server :( (I'm i thinking illogical here, is this the way its suppose to work or something)?

I really need some advice as i've been trying to figure this out for about a week and its really preventing to move on with production.

Thank you in advance.

3. homeuser55

homeuser55 Active Member

damainman,

Did you every get this figured out?

Just wondering in case i need to do something like this in the future.

Thanks

4. damainman

I'm afraid not, i posted the same message on multiple boards but no one ever replied.... so i submitted a TT to cpanel... they said they needed my root account to check my server... i gave it to them... but haven't heard back from them since..:(

Let me ask you something, in WHM under Server Setup/Edit Setup/Main Shared Virtual Host IP..... The ip you put there is the ip your using for all accounts that dont have a static ip?(meaning your using that ip for multiple accounts?)

I have no idea if thats how its suppose to work, if its a bug, or if i'm overlooking or thinking wrong...

See under Main Shared Virtual Host IP i have: xxx.xxx.xxx.101

When i create a new account, and on the bottom where it says to assign the ip.. i leave it on autoassign.

Now the first account i assign to xxx.xxx.xxx.101 seems to take over that ip.. for example if i go to xxx.xxx.xxx.101 i can view the files for the very first account i created.

Now when i go to create a second account and use autoassign...when the account is created and it shows the summary... it shows the second account assigned to xxx.xxx.xxx.101 which is what its suppose to be.

But when i go to xxx.xxx.xxx.101/~user2/ it doesn't work... however if i use any other ip, such as my nameservers ip.. it works:confused:

The problem is really preventing me from moving on with production and adding more accounts :(

I guess i can only sit and wait for cpanel support to reply back to me........ or someone to reply to one of my posts with an answer :(

5. theshark

theshark Registered

Let us know if you hear anything, I'm trying to change the shared virtual host ip as well and it doesn't seem everything will work properly if its not assigned to the main ip.

6. damainman

I got the problem of the first account created on the Main shared Ip, taking over the account solved:

In your httpd.conf

Add this:

<VirtualHost xx.xxx.xx.xxx>
    BytesLog domlogs/localhost.localdomain-bytes_log
    ServerName localhost.localdomain
    DocumentRoot /usr/local/apache/htdocs
    </VirtualHost>

Replace the x's after "VirtualHost" with the ip your using for Main Shared Virtual Host IP

Then restart Apache... However i am still able to access the accounts from various ips i have that are not being used, instead of just from the ip i have designated as the Main Shared Virtual Host IP.

So one problem solved.. and one mroe to go lol

7. XPerties

XPerties Well-Known Member

Im having this exact issue. Submitted a ticket.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: 33636

8. Paulus Magnus

Paulus Magnus Registered

I think I have the same problem too but I got around it by editing the httpd.conf.

Every time I add a new site, I edit the httpd.conf and change the <VirtualHost 192.168.0.1> to <VirtualHost *> and restart the Apache service.

I haven't worked out any other way of doing this yet and was just searching the forum when I found this thread. Let me know how you guys get on.

9. damainman

you have a firewall Paul?

10. Paulus Magnus

Paulus Magnus Registered

Not that I've setup or I'm aware of. This is a managed dedicated server, so the data centre may have something.

Personally, I have one running.

11. yuga

yuga Active Member

I have the same exact problem. The very first account I movd over to our ded server got the IP for himself.

Hope a fix is on its way here.

12. mistermartin75

It's five years later and it still hasn't been fixed.

13. cPanelDon

cPanelDon cPanel Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Twitter:
    Please note the following script may be used to add the default virtual host if it is missing:
    Code:
    # /scripts/rebuildhttpdconf
    This issue is fully resolved in cPanel version 11.25 and as of the following change log entry from June 2, 2009:
    Reference: cPanel Change Log

If you are using cPanel 11.25 and encounter difficulty please submit a support request. Using a support request (ticket) is the official method for reporting issues, including suspected bugs; this also allows us to more efficiently track and better manage such cases, further speeding resolution.

The following feature will help if needing to switch virtual hosts to use a new IP address when the main shared IP address is modified by an administrator.
    WHM: Main >> IP Functions >> IP Migration Wizard
    Documentation: IP Migration Wizard

Moderator Note: Please do not resurrect ancient threads; this is being closed as the originally-described issue is fully resolved.

#13 cPanelDon, Dec 9, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.