The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maintaining real time copy of dedicated server

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by sleepin4ever, Dec 2, 2014.

1. sleepin4ever

sleepin4ever Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    What is the best way to replicate a dedicated server managed by WHM to another dedicated server in a different geographical area?

My goal is that if it goes down, the DNS could be changed to point to the new IP and have it up and running again, without re-configuring WHM completely.

rsync
    rsync looks like the ideal method, but I don't know how this will work if I setup a second dedicated server. Will WHM on the second machine require a separate license? What all would be needed to actually make it the new master?

WHM Configuration Cluster
    The documentation isn't very clear, for me at least, what exactly this does. Googling for it doesn't return much; almost everything is related to the DNS cluster. Is this feature for the DNS cluster?

r1soft
    My host offers r1soft backups for $25/mo. While this isn't a ready to go server, perhaps it is good enough? I can get a dedicated server quickly, but I don't know about the restore process. Has anyone dealt with implementing a backup on a new dedicated server with r1soft?

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

cPanel currently supports clustering for DNS purposes only. There is support to host your databases on a remote MySQL server, however beyond that, there are no native options that allow for mirroring of your websites or automatic replacement of a network/IP address if the event another fails. I recommend searching our forums for "mirroring" and "high availability" for custom solutions that other users may have implemented. There are lots of discussions about the best ways to do this. EX:

Load Balancing
    Load Balancing Servers
    cPanel Load Balanced Servers

Also, feel free to add your input to the following active feature requests:

Active Redundancy or High Availability
    Built-in load balancing, replication, high availability | cPanel Feature Requests

Thank you.