The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Major DNS problem!

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by chadi, May 27, 2004.

1. chadi

chadi BANNED

I am setting up the DNS for a new server using a DNS but its confusing me.

"domain.com" is replacement for our actual domain here in explaining to you my problem.

In WHM setup I did ns7.domain.com and ns8.domain.com with an ip for each.

I clicked "add an A entry..." for each and it succeeded.

In DNS Functions I did edit a DNS zone but I'm not sure what to do here. How can I just use ns1 and ns2 for all servers via dns clustering to connect with the 1st servres's nameservers (that is ns1 and ns2 again).

In dns zone i have the clients domain, our domain and the two nameservers ns7 and ns8.domain.com

What am I supposed to do?

The client got this error message:

DNSStuff gives me this (http://dnsstuff.com/tools/lookup.ch?name=cbox.co.za&type=A):

Searching for A record for cbox.co.za at j.root-servers.net: Got referral to NS.RIPE.NET. [took 103 ms]
    Searching for A record for cbox.co.za at NS.RIPE.NET.: Got referral to ns2.coza.net.za. [took 152 ms]
    Searching for A record for cbox.co.za at ns2.coza.net.za.: Got referral to ns8.domain.com. [took 511 ms]
    Searching for A record for cbox.co.za at ns8.domain.com.: Error: Couldn't resolve DNS server name/IP [ns8.domain.com][11001].

Answer:
    An error occurred: Couldn't resolve DNS server name/IP [ns8.virtuosohosting.com][11001].

What on earth did I do wrong???

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Have you registered ns7.domain.com and ns8.domain.com as nameservers with the registrar for domain.com?

3. chadi

chadi BANNED

Yes. The "domain" was already registered. We added the ns#'s to them with their own IP's respectively.

Question, how can we connect several servers together to use ns1.domain.com and ns2.domain.com ?

4. chadi

chadi BANNED

Reason being is because we keep upping the numbers for nameservres and their is a limit per domain. We want to use strictly ns1 and ns2 for all servers

5. chadi

chadi BANNED

anyone? :)

6. Valetia

Valetia Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    To use ns1 and ns2 for all servers, just enable the new "clustering" function that's built into WHM for all servers.

7. chadi

chadi BANNED

Ok but do I cluster on each server and use the remote access key from where? I'm assuming I use the remote access FROM the ns1 / ns2 server to the others correct?

8. Valetia

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Official guide is here: http://www.cpanel.net/docs/dnsclustering-quickstart/

Set up clustering on each server to connect to your ns1/ns2 server.

On each of your servers, select "Synchronize" only for the ns1/ns2 server. Leave the rest as "Standalone".

I suggest backing up your /var/named folders and /etc/named.conf files on all servers before proceeding with this.

9. chadi

chadi BANNED

Ok so for the first and only ns1 and ns2 server it must be synchronized, the rest standalone. Now, my goal and purpose here is to basically have ALL servers use ns1 / ns2 but is this possible? How would the DNS tell the difference between them all? Wouldn't it get "lost" so to speak?

10. chadi

chadi BANNED

anyoen know?

11. Valetia

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hmm, I'm not understanding your questions.

One of the main reasons for clustering is so that all servers can use ns1/ns2, which is what you're looking for in the first place, which is why I had suggested it, so you're confusing me when you now ask if this is possible... :D

Please elaborate on what you mean by "how would the DNS tell the difference between them all"? Between what and for what purpose?

12. chadi

chadi BANNED

what i'm saying is that registrars would recognize every server as ns1 and ns2 obviously...but what ips does each server use FOR the ns1 and ns2? will they all be on the same exact ip that the original ns1 and ns2 use?

also, would I still have to setup the new servers in whm's "edit setup" with ns1 and ns2 using the ORIGINAL ip for those (from the main synchronized server)?

if so, that means i have to have my clients propagate and update their domains to the new nameservers again correct?

13. Valetia

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    No matter how many servers you have, ns1/ns2 would still only reside on one server if you currently have them only on one server (although I recommend putting ns1 on one and ns2 on another, that's the point of having 2 nameservers to begin with).

You would enter ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com in WHM's "Edit Setup" on each of your servers, no need to enter any IP addresses in there.

The reason for setting up clustering is so that each of your servers communicate with the ns1/ns2 server(s) whenever DNS zones need to be added, modified or deleted.

If your clients are not using ns1/ns2 then yes they would have to update their domains to the new nameservers if you'd like everything to be consistent.

Technically though as long as you're still running bind on each of your servers, your existing clients won't have to switch to ns1/ns2 and their domains would still continue to work after you set up clustering. So you don't have to rush your existing clients. :)

14. chadi

chadi BANNED

Ok how do I know if Bind is enabled? I'm obviously quite a newbie here LOL

Also, you're saying that if I did setup clustering to the ns1/ns2 servers my clients have to still update their domains but it DOES NOT have to propogate? I believe it does though correct?

15. Valetia

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    If your DNS is running properly on each of your servers then you already have bind enabled. From your initial post I imagine you're using ns1/2, ns3/4, ns5/6, etc. on different servers at the moment.

As for your clients updating their domains, as I'd said earlier no they don't have to if you don't want them to, and their domains would still work via the existing nameservers (ns3/4 etc.) as long as you don't go and delete them via your registrar and bind is running on each of the servers.

If for instance your ns3/ns4 clients were to update their domains to ns1/2, propagation would still occur technically, but since it's propagating from the same place to the same place, nothing pretty much happens from their point of view, but the end result is you'd get them all using ns1/2 (if you're the perfectionist type).

New clients should of course be advised to use ns1/2 once you have clustering in place.

16. chadi

chadi BANNED

ok so lets say they have to propagete after updating to ns1 and ns2...but clustering will prevent their site from being temporarily down?

17. Valetia

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes, but normally propagation doesn't involve downtime anyway, even if moving from one provider to another.

18. chadi

chadi BANNED

You're very helpful Valetia. Thanks.

I setup the cluster between two servers now and they're both in green status which I assume is good. The ns1/ns2 says the server path for the DNS and the second servers shows itself pointing to the ns1/ns2 server. Looks good.

Now, is there anything I should do to test it?

Also, creating accounts on the ns1/ns2 server will not show up on other servers correct?

19. chadi

chadi BANNED

Another thing, there is not "remote access key" link on the ns1/ns2 server in WHM. Why is that? I have the latest version of cpanel/whm too. I had to get it by clicking on the link from the second server during clustering setup.

20. chadi

chadi BANNED

Should i delete or update to ns1/ns2 on the other servers once the clients have updated their domain to ns1/ns2?