The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Major installation issues

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vizsion, Aug 4, 2006.

1. vizsion

vizsion Member

hi all,

I'm new to cPanel, and I'm having a real tough time with and installation issue. The actual cPanel install goes smoothly, and I can then log in to WHM and configure things. The problem occurs when I reboot the machine. After a reboot my monitor clicks (like it's turning on and off), and I get a blue screen telling me that X server cannot start. I look at the screen to view the problem, but there is nothing of any use shown. This issue only happens after the first reboot after installing cPanel. I've done a fresh OS install 4 times now, retrieved all of the updates, and rebooted numerous times to test it out prior to installing cPanel. But as soon as cPanel is installed, the next reboot kills it. I've tried 2 different distros, and both have the same results. I have another machine that I can test it out on, but on that one I can't even get cPanel through the installation. For some reason it's hanging on the install, and has been sitting there for 2 days now.

What can I do to solve this issue? I'm not confident enough in my Linux abilities to be able to get around via the command line, so right now the GUI is my only hope.

Thanks,

Chris

2. nickp666

nickp666 Well-Known Member

you cannot run x on a cpanel server, install the most minimal linux build you can then run the cpanel installer, then administer your machine from another

3. vizsion

vizsion Member

Thanks for the quick reply.

Ok, I guess I'll have to do that then. The up side is my command line skills will improve, so I guess it'll work out for the best. I was just hoping to have the GUI to work with.

One thing though. Am I going to have to do a full re-install on the OS again or can I get around it by editing a .conf file to not start X on boot?

Thanks,

Chris

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Edit /etc/inittab and change the line:

id:5:initdefault:

to:

id:3:initdefault:

Then reboot and it shouldn't start up the X environment.