The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Major Permissions Issue!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PanelGuy, Oct 22, 2005.

1. PanelGuy

PanelGuy Well-Known Member

The place where I rent my server from doesn't do backups through WHM they make TAR files.

My drive crashed.

OK so after days of copying everything over to a new server and making changes for new hardware and a newer version of Fedora, and pulling all the stuff for the users from this big TAR file they gave me, there is a bigger issue now:
    None of the email passwords work for anyone, and the web sites forbid access to any viewer.

I checked the group file and none of the user numbers have changed from the old server to the new, since I used that group file. So I'm not sure what could be causing this.

But Much more importnatly +++How Do I Fix It?++++

Please help!

2. AndyReed

AndyReed Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

Hope you didn't install FC4, the new version. Exim doesn't function properly with exim and you'll have to send an emailnote to CPanel engineers for help.

For permissions, you'll have to write a script to change them, if you have many clients. We have our own script that can do that.

3. PanelGuy

So this means you can do it?

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

I hope you're seriously thinking of miving to a different datacenter. It's simply unacceptable to such a poor backup system, especially when one is provided.

That aside, dgbaker kindly wrote the following in a post a while back to fix ownerships and permissins:

for CPAccess in `ls -A /var/cpanel/users`; do chown -R $CPAccess:$CPAccess /home/$CPAccess; done
    for CPAccess in `ls -A /var/cpanel/users`; do chown -R $CPAccess:mail /home/$CPAccess/etc /home/$CPAccess/mail; done
    for CPAccess in `ls -A /var/cpanel/users`; do chown -R $CPAccess:nobody /home/$CPAccess/public_html; done

Probably a good idea to run this afterwards too:

/scripts/chownpublichtmls

5. PanelGuy

Thanks Chirpy! That saved me a lot of time. It's just this evening we are sorta back to normal.

Is there any word yet on being able to update Exim to 4.54 on Fedora Core 4?

6. PanelGuy

Exim 4.60 wiht FC4

Does anyone know if Exim 4.60 works ok with FC4? We've had a lot of problems with 4.52 and can't wait to upgrade!