The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Majordomo (AGAIN!)

Discussion in 'cPanel Developers' started by PCZero, Apr 6, 2004.

1. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

Does anyone here have majordomo installed and running on a cPanel box? I REALLY despise Mailman (the people who wrote that software really havent a clue about security) and need to set up majordomo. If someone can show me that they know how to get this running on a cPanel box this would be a thing that I would offer some compensation for.

Thanks,
    DB

2. nickn

nickn Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

No,

There's no easy way to install Majordomo on cPanel, and I don't see it coming anytime soon hopefully.

3. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

Well that sucks. Majordomo is SOOOOOOOO much easier to maintain and use than that horrid piece of crap Mailman. MM was written by such code nazis that it is almost unusable unless. It sure is NOT a very good choice at all of a newsletter or announcement type mailing list. In fact when I asked the people who wrote the software hwo to set it up that way I was told in no incertain terms that MM was not designed for that and that it is pretty moronic to even think of trying to use MM or any other mailing list for that purpose. Great programmers there huh? Lets just say that I would never hire any of them to code anything for me with that concpet of how programming shoudl be done. BTW did I mention MM sucks? :)

4. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

It must be because it sucks that it is used by SourceForge , GForge and a host of other respected organizations both big and small.

Mailman supports the majordomo style commands you commented on in another thread, and I see no reason why it cannot be used as you describe. In fact ,here is an FAQ entry describing exactly what you are looking for. Why would the evil programming nazis allow this FAQ if they wanted to prevent you from using their software in this way?

If it not a good fit for you, then why can't you simply explore other solutions without insulting the mailman developers?

#4 SarcNBit, Apr 13, 2004
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2004
  5. PCZero

PCZero Well-Known Member

MM FORCES you to do way too many things the way the programmers think they should be done. Many times I and others have asked very basic questions of the MM folks only to be told in no uncertain terms that if we didnt like the program to just not uyse it while never addressing the question posed. They all take any question as a personal affront.

Your comemnt bout the number of people using MM is not relevant. If pure numbers indicated a damn thing then cock roaches would rule the world and AOL would be considered to actually have a purposes. (To think some people actually think AOL is an ISP!)

In addition to their poor programming style, the MM group has some glaring security issues that they acknowledge and leave as is. I may not know how to program in the language used to develop MM but that does not stop me from knowing that it is designed very poorly and by a bunch of extremely closed minded and meglomaniacal people.

6. SarcNBit

SarcNBit Well-Known Member

You should reread my comment. I was not commenting on the number of people using Mailman, I was commenting on the number of widely respected (in the hosting community) organizations using it. Cockroaches may fit the bill, but AOL does not ;)

7. cyberspirit

cyberspirit BANNED

I actually agree with Pzero.
    Mailman is done poorly and is only good for discussion lists. If you have newsletters and want to use mailman you pretty much have no choice but to enable full personalization in mailman. This comes at a huge performance drop since mailman was never made for newsletter or announcement lists. In fact the people who are behind mailman believe that everyone who runs a newsletter or annoucement list is a spammer (I have the email to prove this statement!).
    Mailman is good for small lists but when you get into the 10,000 range it just does not perform and will be a cpu and memory hog.
    And since it is a mailing list manager (MLM) - how much help is it actually to manage a list? Just go into any of your lists and tell me how many subscribers you have from aol. Can you do it? no, because mailman does not give you any stats, cannot sort by domain, does not allow you to edit a member to change his email address and does not even tell you how many of your members are suspended for bouncing or how many members have disabled mail delivery. How good is that for a proclaimed mailing list manager?