The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Make exim delay mail

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by webignition, Feb 16, 2006.

1. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

I'll soon be migrating some accounts from one server to another. Both servers are in the same data centre and so it (fingers crossed) shouldn't take too long. And once the transfer is complete, the data centre will switch IP addresses over to the new server, so DNS downtime can hopefully be avoided.

However, I'd like to ensure that no mail gets lost in the process. If mail for one of the migrating accounts arrives before the whole process is complete, it may end up on the wrong server and never be received. Admittedly the clients will never know, but that's beside the point.

I'd like to set Exim to not accept mail, informing the sending host that something or other is going on and to try again in a few minutes. If the message can be customised, so much the better.

Any ideas?

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

The best way is probably to simply shutdown chkservd and exim. When the sending server find exim down it ought to queue it and try again later. Once the servers are moved you could use rinetd to forward port 25 of all your IP's to the new server.

3. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

Fair enough, once again the simple and straightforward option eluded me.

Thanks for the suggestion.