The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making Backup went to Deleting files :(

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kova, May 3, 2011.

1. Kova

Kova Registered

I'm unhappy owner of cpanel !

I noticed it before but I forgot about this issue, I really think its issue.

I wanted to make backup of site, so I can copy it to other location for testing. I selected all files and selected compression in compression window !

In compression window I entered wrong name for file so I wanted to repair it, I clicked with mouse on name and pressed (backspace or delete) and pressed enter..

What happened, all selected files were deleted, how is that possible !? How can you allow it ?

In compression window I clicked backspace (or del button) and it asked to delete selected files, I clicked enter, no more questions asked ? I mean I have 1 month of really expensive work on site and I deleted it with one click on enter ? How is that possible ?

Suggestion for cpanel developers: 1st don't allow deleting in compress window
    2nd don't ask only once for deleting selected files, you should put 1 more WARNING as well !

And now question for you people, is there any way to restore those files ? I'm on dedicated server, backup was not set up till now, so I don't have backup.

Is there any undelete program that I can use, anything, please. I do have backup 1 month old, but its lots of money and time and lots of file changes, ...

I went to legacy file manager I don't see nothing under trash, so I'm pretty sure that undelete part will not work !

I'm still not clear how is that possible 1 click of enter deleted all files without chance to undelete from trash ?

Any help (not suggestion how to avoid this) is welcome !

Thanks in advance.

2. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    In my testing, I was not able to revise the path selected in File Manager in the Compress area, so pressing delete or backspace did not remove the path or remove the contents selected.

We do have an internal case (#10766) that has been fixed in 11.28.75 where pressing the backspace or delete key during File Manager > Rename no longer deletes the file, but I was unable to reproduce this same issue in the File Manager > Compress area.

Can you please provide the following details:

cPanel version
    Operating system used version
    Browser used and version

3. Kova

Kova Registered

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.17) Gecko/20110420 Firefox/3.6.17

WHM 11.28.75
    CENTOS 5.5 x86_64 standard

Cpanel 11 (Cpanel Accelerated 2)

Well I'm 1000% sure what I did I have kinda of prove for it.

All files deleted but in same time half site compressed ?! How is that possible ? (from 330 MB of site, compressed new files = 170 MB) rest deleted ....

This things happened before but I was slower on enter key ...

I think if undelete is IMPOSSIBLE that deleting should be much harder and more warnings available cause I read online, lots of people made that delete by accident ...

Checked trash right away, nothing was there :(

Now working with PhotoRec, and it helps, kinda, some files restored, but not completely sure are those latest and all, filenames are messed, etc..

Thanks for reply.

4. Kova

Kova Registered

cPanel Version 11.28.75

Just tried it, its not backspace key, its delete key, its still doing same !

I'm in File Manager, Compress window, clicked on bottom, where it says filename and ".zip", pressed in name delete, it made that delete but then ask me to delete whole file !!! Checked this moment I can give you screen shot of all ...

#4 Kova, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011
  5. cPanelTristan

cPanelTristan Quality Assurance Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    For the Operating system used, I meant your local operating system since the browser + OS has a role in anything that is browser-based such as File Manager.

6. Kova

Kova Registered

Windows 7 !

Well when I go to rename of file it doesn't go to delete, if I go to compress and press delete in filename it goes to delete ?!

Well now when I lost all files its not important for me, but you could solve this for other users..