The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making Complete Copy of Mailman List

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by Lamar, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Lamar

Lamar Well-Known Member

I want to make a complete copy of a Mailman list. The copy will be called "test". I don't want to disturb the original list. Can you give me instructions of how to do this?

Thanks

2. eNiNjA

eNiNjA Member

cd /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/list

cp listname_domain.com test_domain.com

If you want to move it somewhere else,say another server via scp, you will have to tar it up.

3. qkslvr

qkslvr Member

If I copy a list that way (including tarring it and moving it to another server), is it supposed to work correctly on the new server, or is there another file that has to be edited to get it to work elsewhere. The server I am transfering it to won't let me login to the mailman admin panel because it claims the password is invalid (after I have reset it both before tarring and moving and after).

Any more info would be awsome. Thanks

4. eNiNjA

eNiNjA Member

be sure mailman has ownership of the list, since ya tarred it ups as root

chown mailman:mailman some_list.com

#4 eNiNjA, Dec 29, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  5. Lamar

Lamar Well-Known Member

Thank you for your reply. I apologize for not responding earlier.

I had already tried this when I asked for help. I should have mentioned that. It's not this simple. The Mailman administration interface for the "test" list showed the name of the
    list as the original, and its archives were empty. I have tried several different things with regard to the archives in

/usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/private/original-list_domain.org
    /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/private/original-list_domain.org.mbox
    and also the /usr/local/cpanel/3rdparty/mailman/archives/public directories.

While I may make the files have the name and ownership properties I need, the admin interface in Mailman never sees it correctly.

6. lloyd_tennison

lloyd_tennison Well-Known Member

I have done something like that by creating the new list, backing up the files in both the old and the new doman, copying the files from the old backup (Mailman only) and then restoring (Mailman only.) Since all the pointers were created when you created the list on the new domain - all works fine. Now, if you change the list name - lots of additional work.