The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making Forwarded emails use Spam Assasin and Spam Box

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by fowen, Apr 26, 2006.

1. fowen

fowen Member

I setup Spam Assasin and Spam Box to work on my machine and everything seems to work fine when I am not using forwarding. I found that if I setup a mailbox with the forwarding SpamAssasin will do what needs to be done but it seems that Spam Box will not work at all with forwarding.

I have read that you can edit the Exim Config file you can re arrange when these things are processed. I looked into the config file but it all seems greek. Does anyone know which changes I need to make to the file?

This is how I want it to process.

- Process Spam Assasin filtering
    - Move Spam to the "Spam Box"
    - Forward Email to the Email Forwader

2. fowen

fowen Member

Nobody has any ideas?

3. Rooter

Rooter Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Simply make sure Spam Assassin and Spam Box is enabled for the destination e-mail account that the forwarder sends to.

Trying to use Spam Box before the e-mail gets to the forwarded destination is not logical because it would not be forwarding it then so your only option is to make sure the destination has Spam Assassin and Spam Box enabled.

4. fowen

fowen Member

The destination is my helpdesk. I have found another way to handle this process so I don't need the spambox and this is no longer an issue.

5. hm2k

hm2k Well-Known Member

I have a very similar problem to this, I am using osTicket helpdesk.

What was the solution?

6. hm2k

hm2k Well-Known Member

I think the problem is that the mail cannot be processed by Spam Assasin before it gets piped into the helpdesk.

The helpdesk ideally needs its own Spam Assasin.

7. ceb04

ceb04 Registered

Precedence of filters, forwarders, and catchall.

I'm having a similar problem with mail forwarding and the use of SpamAssassin and filters.

I also use razor on a site in which razor is installed in SpamAssassin, so I had to write a custom mail filter. This filter uses the Mail::Audit perl package, and first checks to see if SpamAssassin flagged the mail as spam, in which case it puts it in the appropriate users spam subfolder. If it was not caught by SpamAssassin, the mail is checked in razor. If razor thinks it is spam, it is put in another spam folder, otherwise it is delivered to the appropriate user's mailbox.

I had also set up the Catchall Accounts as :blackhole (without the trailing colon).

Under this scenario, only defined accounts made it through. Sometimes forwarders worked, sometimes they didn't, but only mail to defined accounts made it through the filter.

My ISP pointed out that the catchall account should be ":blackhole:" (with a colon on the end). When this was changed, all mails made it through to the mail filter, even for nonexistent addresses, which should have been blackholed. Forwarders never worked.

When I remove the filter, forwarders and the catchall started working fine.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the control logic that could lead to this twisted set of observations. Could anyone give me any pointers? The CPanel user documentation seems to be written as if we were all dumb monkeys only capable of following instructions. No conceptual framework is established to cover anything but the simple cases explicitly foreseen in the manual.

Thanks.