The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making sense of cPanel's numbers...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by pepper_bg, Oct 2, 2010.

1. pepper_bg

pepper_bg Registered

Hi,

We have a Linux instance with cPanel running on it. There are a couple of numbers the meaning of which I can't figure out:
    - CPU Usage: 155.4%/100% CPU - at the same moment here top shows "Cpu(s): 2.9%us, 0.5%sy, 0.0%ni, 96.6%id" and uptime "2.0, 2.2, 2.2", so what Linux command do I run to get this number?
    - HTTP Connections: 190/300 - this seems close to what I get when I run "netstat | grep http | wc" but can I be sure?

Appreciate your help...

2. cPanelJared

cPanelJared Technical Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The CPU numbers are derived directly from the top command. For example, this a segment of the top output from a running server:

Code:
    top - 07:35:33 up 12 days, 22 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.48, 0.16, 0.07
    Tasks: 108 total,   1 running, 107 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie
    Cpu(s):  0.3%us,  0.0%sy,  0.0%ni, 99.7%id,  0.0%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.0%si,  0.0%st
    Mem:   1024864k total,   963156k used,    61708k free,   152428k buffers
    Swap:  2031608k total,       72k used,  2031536k free,   456220k cached
    For a full explanation, you can type man top at the shell command prompt, and I also found the following explanations which break down each field in the output:

top - Linux Command - Unix Command
    top - Linux command line to see the running processes in real time | Linux Operating System
    The Linux top command | Unix Linux top cpu, memory usage | ps command | devdaily.com

The Apache information is derived from the output of this command:

Code:
    # /usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl status
    The output of that command is what is displayed in Main >> Server Status >> Apache Status. The number of HTTP connections is derived from that output, not from a netstat command.

3. pepper_bg

pepper_bg Registered

Thanks for the reply, Jared!

Yes, I know top. Yet I don't see there percentages going above 100% (well, I do for the individual processes when in Irix mode but that is irrelevant here). To which number in top corresponds cPanel's CPU Usage?

Thanks...