The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making sure DNS is set up correctly

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by dwh2, May 2, 2005.

1. dwh2

dwh2 Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2004
    If you're like me, you find DNS a real pain to set up and get right. There is a great resource called It helps you determine if your set up is ok or messed up and offers instructions to fix problems. But even those can be confusing. I thought whoever wants to check on their DNS can use this thread to point out which entries are bad and we can collectively help each other understand how to fix it, particularly as to how it relates to CPanel.

Here are the bad entries for one of my domains:

A techie who helped me set up the domain told me it's just easiest with cpanel to use nameservers on your own machine. In fact, 2 guys said that to me. Can we add additional DNS servers offsite to get rid of that warning and have a backup if the machine goes down and we want to point to a different server, even if temporarily? Has anyone set this up and if so, how?

Where do we change this?

huh? How do I fix this

This link points to where I have several other questions, but let's tackle this one first.

I hope we can make some headway on this. I believe some of the warns are default values in cpanel setups.
  2. sawbuck

sawbuck Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2004
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Yes by using dns clustering or secondary dns backup. There are many secondary services available including and DnsMadeEasy has a failover service you can use providing you have a secondary server. True failover service tends to be more complicated/expensive depending on what your database requirements are.

Zone file values (ie: SOA values) can be changed by editing the zone file in WHM (assuming you have root).

Multiple MX records are similar to secondary dns in that you can either have a secondary MX provider or use additional mail servers that you control.

Mail host name parameters can also be set in the zone file for a particluar domain.

You are on the right track concerning SPF. The spf.pobox site has a wizard you can use to configure SPF and then add it to the zone file. Not everyone is convinced of its value however.