The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manage a sub-folder as a cPanel Domain

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jonathont, Jan 27, 2011.

1. jonathont

jonathont Registered

I have an IIS server hosting websites where each user has sub-folder, e.g. host.domain.edu/user1, host.domain.edu/user2. I am moving a lot of my hosting to cPanel and was wondering if there is a way to recreate this, allowing each user to have their own cPanel account, yet still be able to have web traffic go to the sub-folder.

My first thought is that perhaps I can create a cPanel account for host.domain.edu that I would manage and then create individual cPanel accounts for sub-domains like user1.host.domain.edu but have them as a directory under host.domain.edu so that web traffic would work to both locations.

Is something like this possible/supported?

2. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    That will work fine. The server hostname is host.domain.edu The main domain could be, domain.edu or whatever else you like, and the separate accounts you create in WHM could be user1.domain.edu user2.domain.edu etc.

In domain.edu's public_html you'd find the directories user1.domain.edu, user2.domain.edu, etc User1 can only login to user1...

Just what you want I believe.

GL!

3. jonathont

jonathont Registered

Thanks for the quick reply. I tried what you suggested and I must be doing something wrong. I created a domain called faculty.domain.edu. I then created some accounts

faculty_name_1.faculty.domain.edu
    faculty_name_2.faculty.domain.edu

My goal for those sites to be accessible at

faculty.domain.edu/faculty_name_1
    faculty.domain.edu/faculty_name_2

When WHM creates the individual faculty accounts it doesn't put their root under faculty.domain.edu's public_html, it creates them at the root of /home on the WHM server. I even tried making faculty.domain.edu a reseller and created the accounts under that reseller but it behaves the same way.

Perhaps I'm doing something cPanel was not designed to do or I have to manually edit the Apache configs?

Thanks again for any help!

4. Infopro

Infopro cPanel Sr. Product Evangelist
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hmm, I do believe I misspoke here in my previous post. I've described addon domains added to an account, not sub.domains with their own cPanel account, my apologies.

Sub.domains you create via WHM will have their own file system and not be a part of any other account, addon domains you create via cPanel will share the same file system to the account they are created on, but will not have their own cPanel access.