The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manage MySQL Profiles

Discussion in 'Database Discussions' started by 63bus, Feb 26, 2016.

1. 63bus

63bus Active Member

I am setting up a separate database server soon and don't fully understand this WHM feature.
    The new database server will use CPanel as well.

I only have one website and one database on my server.
    Once I have my dedicated mySQL server set up, do I need to set it up in this window on the non-database server?
    I understand I need to move the single database for my web site to the new server but:
    Does this change where ALL the databases are stored?
    Do I need to move all the other databases I see in there too when I am in mySQL Admin as root?
    Example: eximstats, modsec, whmxfer, and so on

It seems like I could just move my single application database over to the new server, delete it from the original server, manage the new database on the new dedicated database server, and not have to set up anything in this window at all?

#1 63bus, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
  2. syslint

syslint Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    You have two options ,
    1) use the external mysql server as an entire db server for your cpanel ?
    or
    2) Use that external mysql server as a db server only for your website

As long as you have only one website and one database , the option 2 will be easy .

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

Yes, this is an option. However, if you want to manage the database from a single cPanel server, then you should setup the remote MySQL server profile. You would have to copy over all databases (e.g. eximstats, cphulkd, etc).

Thank you.

4. 63bus

63bus Active Member

Thanks to both of you. I understand. I will just use it for my web site database as that seems the easiest to do and manage.

What is best way to allow access from the application server to the database server?
    I see an option in CPanel to allow Remote Access:
    Remote MySQL - Documentation - cPanel Documentation
    But on the database server I wasn't planning to set up a CPanel account since there is no www domain assigned to that server so?
    If it's best to set up some fake account/domain name there, like database.mydomain.com in order to access that page, I can do that too.

5. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    You don't have to create an account on the server hosting the database. Simply create the database, and ensure the IP address of the cPanel server is able to connect to it. The document you referenced is for cPanel servers, so if your remote database server uses cPanel, you could setup an account and use that option.

Thank you.