The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

managed.com

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lauren, Feb 12, 2004.

1. lauren

lauren Member

are any of you on managed.com boxes?
    is it me or are they off-planet right now?

2. nybble

nybble Well-Known Member

Yep :P they are in another jet on there way to sego :P

-No, honestly I don't know but all I hear about managed.com is bad bad bad

3. phinsup

phinsup Active Member

Do yourself a favor and get as far away from managed.com as you can. I got one of their cheap servers just to some playing with FreeBSD and Cpanel, what a nightmare, downtime all the time and support is non-existant... and I mean non-existant, I had to beg them to send me a bill for the server, that's how much of a mess they are.

4. kris1351

kris1351 Well-Known Member

Managed has to be one of the worst companies I have ever dealt with. We tried to order a couple of backup boxes from them and after a week finally received two broken boxes. They both had insecure kernels (updates that had been out for a month), and both had incorrectly compiled kernels. The Cpanel licenses were not valid and over the two days we tried to use them we never had less than 850ms ping times and the network was completely down for over 6 hours (at least our segment). Through all of this you could not reach them through phone, email or help desk. The only time we ever got a response is when we told them to refund our money which then they responded in 15 mintues, but never to a support ticket.

They are a horrible company and their staff has the mentality of 12 year olds.

5. hotice007

hotice007 Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

My experience was rather different. I've been with them for 3 months and speed has always been fast, except 2-3 times (2hr avg each) where it was down or laggy. But hey, can't expect 100% uptime with that price... I would say they are decent.

6. osfdeath

osfdeath Well-Known Member

I almost went with managed.com but found them to be really slow in their support (during pre-signup stuff) and they really weren't overly helpful I found.

I decided to go with BurstNET
    They're having some problems ATM but I think they'll have it all sorted out soon enough :)

7. kris1351

I don't get how people can say they have perfect speed and almost no downtime. MSG even posted on WHT that they had massive DOS attacks that brought their servers down at least 5 times in January alone. They also do not have the pipes they advertise as the second loop was never made. Your ping times at times are more than 1k each day, are you monitoring?

8. lauren

lauren Member

ok im getting the idea that maybe we shouldnt be with these guys...

can anyone suggest an alternative? we need reliability and good connections ... price is a factor but not to the detriment of the service

thnx

9. osfdeath

osfdeath Well-Known Member

You can try out BurstNET

The prices are great - support isn't too bad (though I see some complaining on the forums about them - I personally have never waited more than an hour for a support ticket)
    For the important stuff (server reboots etc) they have email support and a toll free number (they state it's not for support but if it's important, you can get in touch with support)

Visit their forums at http://forums.burst.net

Also, I might add, they are currently have some small problems with packet loss due to upgrading lines (not them but their bandwidth carrier) This has only caused severe problems with game servers - it's had very little effect on my own webserver
    If you do sign up, I might offer to not go with Fedora if you're new to the hosting world - I am and have had alot of problems

10. Stevie

Stevie Member

I cannot fault these guys http://www.servermatrix.com/ only 1 downtime in 3 months I asked for reboot got it in minutes. Total offline 4 mins.

Very good prices compared to BurstNET.

PS beware of companys advertising themselves here.

11. kris1351

Servermatrix and EV1 Servers are great choices. Burstnet, Server4you and FDCservers all have mixed reviews, but are better than manged from what I have read.

12. nybble

nybble Well-Known Member

You should always look around a bit before you buy ;)

But I find your reply quite funny :) lol

13. phinsup

phinsup Active Member

I have boxes at Servermatrix and EV1. I like ServerMatrix a bit better, they offer some nice extra's and their hardware is top notch.

14. Weed

Weed Active Member

I have mixed feelings on managed.com...

I'm with them at this point only because of the cost of the server... quite cheap :)

I purchased the P4 2.4 GHz $85 server with cpanel added on at a cost totalling $105 per month...

The first thing I can tell you, is that they claim complete management and all that crap... and they do not deliver.

I had never used WHM/Cpanel before (aside from checking demo's of cpanel) and they were absolutely no help.

I submitted a ticket because apache would not start... the replied saying "Sorry, we do not assist in server setup."

I was quite angry... I assumed that they would help out with all kinds of things... yeah right.

BUT luckily, I had some help. :) I had connections with 2 people that knew the ins and outs of WHM... and they said "just start over".

I submitted a ticket for reformatting... It was swift but there were a few things I didn't like..

When you submit a ticket, they have NO idea who you are... You need to tell them the server IP yours is set up on and the actual setup (what you bought) for them to set it up. (THEY ALMOST SET MY SERVER UP WITHOUT CPANEL! And I have no knowledge of Linux at all. :P)

That's also quite dangerous because you could give a server IP that is not yours and another server could accidentally be wiped out when it shouldn't.

After I got it straightened out what I wanted installed again, they very quickly set my server back up to run again... except that they don't check their setup. Someone entered the network information in wrong and my server was inaccessible for 10 minuites. They got on it quick and fixed the issue.

Okay... so I'm not SO mad anymore...

I decided to run through the cpanel/whm setup documentation step by step... and I ended up doing it right that time..

I got it set up... and wouldn't you know it? Apache crashes and will not restart again...

It turned out they kept installing a faulty setup of my server... so I read a few docs and learned how to rebuild apache. Easy? Yes... 5-10 minutes I was back up and running again... and I learned how to install GD and new versions of PHP in the process :)

Since I set my server up and finally got it working on Jan. 27th, I have recieved near no downtime.. safe from some switch problem that was resolved in a few hours.

There was one other time where the /usr folder was in the wrong spot...

It took 22 houors for them to attempt to restart it... and they didn't even watch as the unit failed again, so I waited a few more hours... explained IN DETAIL AND CAPS that something was wrong with startup... they figured it out and my server was running again.

I'd say... if you are experienced with cpanel/whm... go with them... but if not, it's going to be one hell of a rocky ride.

my main website is www.evilfactory.net

I get pings of 90 or so (not great, but 90ms vs. 40ms REALLY doesn't make that much of a difference to me :P)

Downloads I get, whether they claim to have dual pipes or not, are incredibly fast. My connection maxes out at 400KB per second on my home computer and it downloads that fast...

I think they should change their name from managed.com to "dothisservercrapyourself.com" :P

But all in all, things have smoothed out. :)

If you do plan on going with them, rebuild apache as soon as you have your nameservers and stuff set up... it will save you a few headaches ;)

One last thing... the only method of support they have as far as I'm concerned is a secure perldesk install.

They claim to have a phone number you can call... but I've called and left messages and they never return calls.. or even answer the phone for that matter :P

~Weed

#14 Weed, Feb 12, 2004
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2004
  15. nybble

nybble Well-Known Member

Nice post, so its not just me? they don't answer the phone? I called 19 times, one out of 19 they answered

Also, you can call in and get them to reboot someone ELSES server, just email reboot@managed.com with the server IP, grab the hostname with a quick whois or what ever, and done - that persons server is rebooted

IMO I don't like managed.com, but if you want an offline box to do stuff... why not? but what good is an offline box?

Oh, anyone know when they are putting the servers on another jet and moving them to sego?

16. lauren

lauren Member

hey weed :)

that kinda sounds very similar to my experience so far ... managed.com is almost a trading standards violation as far as their name goes ... totallyunmanaged.com is thr right name

i rebuilt apache added gd and mcrypt and figured out the 2 levels of control panel thing enuff to get a site up and running and it seems to be ok so far

i am confused by the nameserver thing ... do i need to set our box up as a nameserver or use other nameservers?

the less i have to deal with them the better and i think i might know enuff to scrape by that way unless some disaster happens ... at which point they are only 40miles away so i would drive down there and strangle them if they didnt fix it
    :)

17. phinsup

phinsup Active Member

You can order a restore via email, when I figured that out I couldn't believe it.

18. Weed

Weed Active Member

Go into your server and set up nameservers...

What registrar did you use to register your domains?

~Weed

19. lauren

lauren Member

ummmm verio has the nameservers
    i think

20. netdias

netdias Member

Well, My experience on Managed.com has been neither good nor bad, but with that price you HAVE to know one or two things of RedHat and HWM to get things working.
    The assistance isn't that god, and I have had problems geting some answers. Also had problems with down connections, one time they said they where suffering DOS atacks.. it might be the case, with those prices there might be people hungry out here :)

But i have been in other servers like dot5hosting, and is the same with them. The servers where always going down, and in managed.com my server is ALWAYS up.. sometimes I just can't see it :)
    I am with them for the last 3 months and going to stick with them unless some one get me a server for $55...:rolleyes: