Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Managing numerous email forwarders

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by gerry@pairofdoc, Dec 11, 2004.

1. gerry@pairofdoc

gerry@pairofdoc Registered

I manage a web-site for my neighbor association. As a part of this, I have set up about 150 email forwarders. Managing these through the web interface is quite a chore. Is there an easier way to do this? I.e., can I create a file in some ofrmat an upload it in some manner?

Thanks!

2. linux-image

linux-image Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    procmail is an alternative.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. sb-host

sb-host Member

I have done this before using a text file. It was quite a while ago, so I may be a bit rusty, double check before you proceede. :)

You can go to the cPanel in question, create a few forwarders. Then, look at [/etc/valiases] for that domain. You can follow that format and paste them in as needed, or however you prefer to work in SSH.
    Glenn

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. linux-image

linux-image Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator

I doubt if he can access the /etc/valiases , unless he has /bin/bash shell access.. from his host.

5. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

Well, you can always access the domains /etc/valiases file using a perl script and do it that way.

6. gerry@pairofdoc

gerry@pairofdoc Registered

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Chirpy - your suggestion seems to be rather straight-forward. But, maybe you can add a little more detail.

My workstation is a Windows box. I can install Perl if needed. I assume that I would run the Perl script on my box and it would access /etc/valiases on the host computer? Thus, username/password information would have to be provided? If my understanding is correct, there is nothing special about Perl - I could use any scripting language.

Any guidance you can offer is greatly appreciated!

7. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

No, you'd run a perl script on the server under the account whose valiases file you want to modify, for example, as a CGI script.