The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mandrake Vs FreeBSD

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by michaelcaplan, Nov 7, 2003.

1. michaelcaplan

michaelcaplan Member

Well, not really...

I need to choose an OS to run CPanel for a system that needs to be live in the next week. With RedHat's announcement about dropping RedHat 9 in favour of their enterprise distribution, I'd like to move away from RedHat all together either right now or before April 2004.

I'd like to get some feedback from both FreeBSD and Mandrake users about running Cpanel.

FreeBSD would be my first choice for many reasons, but it seems to me that Cpanel on FreeBSD, while advertised as supported, is not 100% stable yet (according to many posts on this forum).

I have not seen many comments about running Cpanel on Mandrake 9.0 in the forum. Are folks happy with this combo? Any drawbacks? Why the lag about brining Cpanel support up to 9.2 (or 9.1 at least)?

Thanks,

Michael

2. tAzMaNiAc

tAzMaNiAc Well-Known Member

Mandrake 9

I seem happy with Mandrake 9.

I am not sure about Mandrake.. but it seems to be pretty solid! I had a uptime of about 270 days before a power glitch all but erased it.

I only had to do a temporary patch to avoid having to reboot to reinstall my kernel... :-D However, now that it's rebooted.. I might as well do it.

They also have great security and packaging systems. I liked the directory setup and the philosophy so I stuck with them.

FreeBSD is of course a good platform, and seemingly robust but has a VASTLY different layout and Unix strategy (not too much different but different enough for me not to want to touch it! :)) It is based on BSD flavored Unix while Linux (and Solaris) is based on System V Unix architecture to give you an idea.

That is why I like being also a Solaris Admin at my real job.

The problem is Mandrake had some problems financially a while ago, and I'm wondering how they are doing now.

On the other hand FreeBSD is completely community driven and not dependent on a company staying afloat to survive.

Take your pick.. I do agree about cPanel not being 100% on FreeBSD yet, but with a little elbow grease it can be gotten to 100% as I have seen some FreeBSD users do here.

Brenden

3. michaelcaplan

michaelcaplan Member

Hey Brenden,

Thanks for the reply. It certainly does clarrify things for me.

An interesting aside: Nocster/Burst.net (who I will be renting the dedicated server from running Cpanel) recommend FreeBSD over Mandrake for running Cpanel. They are confident that Cpanel is up to task on freeBSD. It also appears that Cpanel has made good inroads in bringing its freeBSD port up to speed as of recent.

4. easyhoster1

easyhoster1 Well-Known Member

FREEBSD is is not 100% yet, I am migrating 10 servers to c-panel (all FREEBSD) and it has it's share of bugs and we are trying to iron them out. Exim has to be the worst mail server and is slow.

We found that once you get a good stable build and everything is working, never upgrade or touch the c-panel
    releases. After upgrading to other stable versions, we had major melt downs with exim, webmail, cppop, and permission issues. Now it drops a new mail directorie into the users /public_html directorie and no one has told us why its there when a new account is created. Anyone know why?

I hope c-panel will continue to expand on FREEBSD, but should use the layout it was intended to use instead of installing their own.

I should also point out, use FREEBSD 4.8 for the OS, as 5.x is still not ready if you decide to use FREEBSD. We could not get it installed on the 5.x version

#4 easyhoster1, Nov 7, 2003
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2003
  5. tAzMaNiAc

tAzMaNiAc Well-Known Member

No problem Michael.

EasyHoster: Interesting. It's all much easier on Linux based versions I guess. Theoretically things should work the same way, but it seems FreeBSD works it differently and it's a difficult task to pursue.

Interesting insight.

Michael, the other way is to use any linux release and manually update the behind the scenes stuff. Any release should work fine because essentially all of them run off the SAME kernels.

Heck I do this sometimes because I am a guru myself... ;)

Brenden

6. casey

casey Well-Known Member

Interesting discussion. I was looking at FreeBSD, but Mandrake also sounds good. That financial thing bothers me, though. My datacenter tells me that Mandrake and Redhat are very similar.

7. casey

casey Well-Known Member

8. jphilipson

jphilipson Well-Known Member

mandrake, suse and a few others are all rpm based distros that were spun off from redhat back in the version 6 days i believe. I am personally a suse man at home on my workstation... but all my servers run redhat