The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manual bind setup instructions for secondary DNS on a spare server

Discussion in 'Bind / DNS / Nameserver Issues' started by cndg, Apr 28, 2012.

1. cndg

cndg Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    I have just one cPanel+WHM server with 1 IP address. On it, I'm running everything, including DNS.

I wish to run "bind" on a friends spare server in a different country to be a second name server for me.

Can someone please tell me...

A) What I need to do on the remote server to install/config bind to act as a suitable name server, and

B) Instructions for how to set cPanel up to know about that remote server, and to use it to push DNS changes etc out to it (including detailed instructions about how to tell my remote copies of "bind" that my local copy is authorised to give updates to it).

I've spent a few hours in google so far - all I can find is instructions for the "cpanel-dnsonly-install.sea" method, which seems to want to install many gigs of other packages and totally wipe out the host it runs on (which would not please my friend :)

Thanks in advance if anyone can help!

Chris.

2. cndg

cndg Member

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    "powerdns" seems to be the answer, if anyone else stumbles onto this thread:-

yum install pdns pdns-backend-mysql mysql-server mysql

3. RACKSET

RACKSET Active Member

cndg, could you please give a whole picture (or suggest links) of howto setup pdsn with cpanel/whm or dns only?
    Thanks.