The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manual Updates Only (bleeding EDGE tree) does it take that long ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dr34m3r, Jun 20, 2010.

1. dr34m3r

dr34m3r Member

Hello people

i had a problem and i did " Manual Updates Only (bleeding EDGE tree) "

does it take so long ?

its still running .. started before more than 12 hrs

Code:
    ================================================================================
     Package             Arch        Version                   Repository      Size
    ================================================================================
    Updating:
     cups-libs           i386        1:1.3.7-18.el5_5.4        updates        198 k
     libsmbclient        i386        3.0.33-3.29.el5_5         updates        907 k
     samba               i386        3.0.33-3.29.el5_5         updates         16 M
     samba-client        i386        3.0.33-3.29.el5_5         updates        5.7 M
     samba-common        i386        3.0.33-3.29.el5_5         updates        6.7 M
     samba-swat          i386        3.0.33-3.29.el5_5         updates        8.2 M

Transaction Summary
    Install       0 Package(s)
    Upgrade       6 Package(s)

Total download size: 38 M
    Downloading Packages:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Total                                           8.9 MB/s |  38 MB     00:04     
    Running rpm_check_debug
    Running Transaction Test
    Finished Transaction Test
    Transaction Test Succeeded
    Running Transaction

Updating       : cups-libs                                               1/12 

Updating       : libsmbclient                                            2/12 

Updating       : samba-common                                            3/12 

Updating       : samba                                                   4/12 

its taking so long

2. cPanelJamyn

cPanelJamyn Social Engineer
    Staff Member

Hi,

If the log does indeed stop at "Updating samba", then the RPM utility on your server may be experiencing issues (connectivity or otherwise). System updates are run as part of the upcp process, and in some cases they can hang. I recommend checking system logs to determine if there are any issues. Temp files in /var/lib/rpm may need to be removed, and the rpm process killed off (but you should take care that you do not remove anything except what's absolutely necessary if you decide to do this). I suggest googling for "yum hang /var/lib/rpm" or similar. Thanks.

3. Spiral

Spiral BANNED

For reference updates take 2 to 5 minutes for normal updates

Updates requiring complete reloads such as changing distribution trees or new installs might take up to around 30 to 50 minutes to complete

12 hours? No, something is definitely wrong in that case. :rolleyes: