The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manually Moving a fairly big site

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by xWho, Jul 3, 2003.

1. xWho

xWho Well-Known Member

I have tried 6 times now and it has failed every time --

I am moving a site that is over a gig in size -- and it keeps getting copy errors... i am running out of time to get this to work and would like to do it manually...

can it be done? like is there a script that packages up the entire account into a tarball that I can then ftp to the new server and run another script to set up the account?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide...

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number:

2. carlaron

carlaron Well-Known Member

If you can SSH into both accounts, you should be able to do it with "tar". I don't know who is supposed to own all of the mail folders and the rest, so you might not want to do the entire users home directory, but this should be pretty safe to do for the entire public_html directory and contents.

tar -czp * > website.tar.gz

will make a gzipped tar file of everything in the current directory on down, and save it as "website.tar.gz".

then on the new machine, find where you want to untar it. If you created the tar inside the public_html directory on the old machine, it's a good bet you want to be there on the new machine. Keep in mind that it will create all directories and subdirectories if they do not already exist and replace ones that do. Once you are in the right location,

tar -zxvf website.tar.gz

will unzip and untar the file.

You will probably still need to set ownership, since the user id number is probably different on the new machine.

chown -R username.groupname *

will set everything in the current directory, and recursively on down to be owned by username, with group groupname.

cPanel.net Support Ticket Number: