Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Manually restore a home directory backup from SSH

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bblsystems, Jan 30, 2019.

Tags:
  1. bblsystems

bblsystems Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I have a home directory backup created via cPanel using Download a Home Directory Backup.

I want to restore it via command prompt (SSH) rather than via the cPanel restore.

If I can SSH into the account and upload the *.tar.gz file, what command would I use to restore it?
    Where exactly should I put the *.tar.gz file before running the command?

Thank you!
    Chris

2. bblsystems

bblsystems Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Sorry for the repeat, the forum software would not let me edit the original post.

I need to transfer a cPanel from one server to another.

I cannot use cpmove, as the new hosting company won't transfer accounts with backups bigger than 4gb and this file is 9gb.
    Also, the home directory restore on the new server via cPanel failed when I tried it, with a connection reset error (maybe because of the file size)

I have a home directory backup created via cPanel using Download a Home Directory Backup. It contains a Wordpress site and WHMCS.

I want to restore it to a new server via command prompt (SSH) rather than via the cPanel restore.

1. Can you restore a home directory backup to a new server?

2. If I can SSH into the account and upload the *.tar.gz file, what command would I use to restore it?

3. Where exactly should I put the *.tar.gz file before running the command?

Once the home directory backup is restored, I plan to backup and restore the mysql DB's associated with it.

Thank you!
    Chris

3. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello Chris,

The best approach will depend on your access rights on the source and destination servers. Can you verify if you have root access to either the source or destination servers?

Thank you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...