The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Manually restoring account after hard drive failure?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by rmackay, Oct 13, 2014.

1. rmackay

rmackay Well-Known Member

I've had a recent hard drive failure and after rebuilding the server with new drives, etc and reinstalling cpanel, I was able to restore from backups about 90% of the accounts on the server and they are up and running again. Unfortunately, the remaining 10% of the accounts did not have backups enabled and the users do not have backups of their sites.

The good news: The previous drive is hooked up via a USB box and is completely readable with all previous cpanel account data in the /mnt/secondary/home/<accountName> folder. All other folders are readable as well. Just can't boot off this drive.

The bad news: I have no idea how to manually restore those 10% of the accounts for which there were no backups.

Question:

Is there any way to manually restore these accounts? All of the other accounts are up and running so I don't really want to mess with them. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello :)

I suggest recreating the accounts through Web Host Manager, and then manually importing the data into the account's home directory. Note that you might have to update ownership of the files after moving the data, and /var/cpanel/users/$username and /var/cpanel/userdata/$username/ contents will need to be manually restored.

Thank you.