Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Manually restoring account after hard drive failure?

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by rmackay, Oct 13, 2014.

  1. rmackay

    rmackay Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Nov 26, 2002
    Messages:
    75
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    156
    I've had a recent hard drive failure and after rebuilding the server with new drives, etc and reinstalling cpanel, I was able to restore from backups about 90% of the accounts on the server and they are up and running again. Unfortunately, the remaining 10% of the accounts did not have backups enabled and the users do not have backups of their sites.

    The good news: The previous drive is hooked up via a USB box and is completely readable with all previous cpanel account data in the /mnt/secondary/home/<accountName> folder. All other folders are readable as well. Just can't boot off this drive.

    The bad news: I have no idea how to manually restore those 10% of the accounts for which there were no backups.

    Question:

    Is there any way to manually restore these accounts? All of the other accounts are up and running so I don't really want to mess with them. Any help is much appreciated.

    Thanks!
     
  2. cPanelMichael

    cPanelMichael Technical Support Community Manager
    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2011
    Messages:
    45,427
    Likes Received:
    1,960
    Trophy Points:
    363
    cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Twitter:
    Hello :)

    I suggest recreating the accounts through Web Host Manager, and then manually importing the data into the account's home directory. Note that you might have to update ownership of the files after moving the data, and /var/cpanel/users/$username and /var/cpanel/userdata/$username/ contents will need to be manually restored.

    Thank you.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Loading...

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice