The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Masking' ISP IP address

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by coralbridge, Feb 4, 2005.

1. coralbridge

coralbridge Member

We've been asked, by a legit client, if there's any way to remove his ISP IP address from mail sent through our server or to replace it with our server IP.

Is this possible?

Thanks

2. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

No, that would break the RFC rules on SMTP email delivery. Each time an email is relayed the relaying IP address must be included in the Received: email header lines - that is how SMTP works.

3. coralbridge

coralbridge Member

What if I used two servers then?

Mail sent via SMTP on server one, goes to server two, which then replaces users IP address with server one's IP address?

4. chirpy

chirpy Well-Known Member

If you use two servers then each server plus the senders IP address should appear as separate Received: header entries. Here's the relevant part of the RFC 2821 rules governing this:

5. dezignguy

dezignguy Well-Known Member

yes, it's possible to do... but you as the host may not want to give your customer the necessary access to do this.

I do it myself on my server by sending my outgoing mail out through an SSH tunnel to my server. So I have putty link my local port 25 to port 25 on my mailserver... mail transparently travels over the tunnel and it looks like it came from the server itself.