The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mass FTP Account Creation/Management

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mreish, Sep 13, 2005.

1. mreish

mreish Registered

I need to create a whole bunch of FTP accounts and passwords automatically. We have class where each student needs their own account and creating 50 accounts via cpanel is painful. In an ideal world I'd like to tell the program to generate x number accounts in a certain folder and it would email me the account names and pwords.

Any suggestions or tips?

ps:
    I've downloaded http://scripts.freemans-web.com but haven't had a chance to try it yet so that may well do what I need but I thougt I'd toss out my question anyway.

2. fwwebs

fwwebs Well-Known Member

Will each user have access to their own folder? or a shared single folder?

The script will allow users to signup for an account individually, but it will create a separate folder for each, unless you modifiy the script.

If you have a plain text list of users, it would be relatively easy to adapt.

Do you have root access, WHM or just cPanel?

3. mreish

mreish Registered

Each student gets access only to their assigned folder.

If I knew what files to change I might be tempted to make a go of it myself. I do pretty well with PHP/MySQL and this doesn't seem like the backend would be terribly hard.

I have whm/cpanel and root via ssh.

4. fwwebs

fwwebs Well-Known Member

I would think that a script in perl would do the trick, since you have root access. Although the cP Account Creator would do the trick if your willing to let the students signup on their own. For security, if you turn off autocreation, you'd just need to click approve for each signup.