The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mass spam attacks / Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie emails

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussions' started by nyjimbo, Nov 23, 2005.

1. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

I hope this doesnt violate any forum guidelines but I have seen alot of posts about sudden increases in spam volumes involving spoofing and I thought I would just post a link to a news report about the new virus for those who are just starting to get hammered by it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20051122/tc_zd/166036

Excerpts:

"It appeared Monday, after machines infected with older variants began spamming out the new version in a massive e-mail flood."

"The e-mail messages use a variety of subterfuges to trick recipients into opening the virus attachment, including messages that pretend to come from the FBI and CIA, security firms said Tuesday."

"Other e-mail campaigns containing the Sober.AG worm promise recipients a glimpse of videos of jet-setters Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie if they open the file, according to an e-mail alert from Computer Associates International Inc."

I think this is going to be a real nightmare for many small hosting and ISP companies who are understaffed this week.

2. jackie46

jackie46 BANNED

I dont see this as being a problem currently on any of our boxes with only a half dozen viruses caught since Monday on all boxes. We use F-Secure not crappy CLAMV.

3. FWC

FWC Well-Known Member

If F-Secure is that great, shouldn't it be catching more than CLAMAV? :confused:

4. jackie46

jackie46 BANNED

Who said it didnt? F-Secure is about the best you can buy.

5. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The FBI and the CIA are not the right people to try and scam through.

I think the real FBI and CIA will eat these guys for dinner. And probably lunch as well, and justly so.