Please whitelist cPanel in your adblocker so that you’re able to see our version release promotions, thanks!

The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!

Mass spam attacks / Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie emails

Discussion in 'E-mail Discussion' started by nyjimbo, Nov 23, 2005.

1. nyjimbo

nyjimbo Well-Known Member

I hope this doesnt violate any forum guidelines but I have seen alot of posts about sudden increases in spam volumes involving spoofing and I thought I would just post a link to a news report about the new virus for those who are just starting to get hammered by it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20051122/tc_zd/166036

Excerpts:

"It appeared Monday, after machines infected with older variants began spamming out the new version in a massive e-mail flood."

"The e-mail messages use a variety of subterfuges to trick recipients into opening the virus attachment, including messages that pretend to come from the FBI and CIA, security firms said Tuesday."

"Other e-mail campaigns containing the Sober.AG worm promise recipients a glimpse of videos of jet-setters Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie if they open the file, according to an e-mail alert from Computer Associates International Inc."

I think this is going to be a real nightmare for many small hosting and ISP companies who are understaffed this week.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. jackie46

jackie46 BANNED

I dont see this as being a problem currently on any of our boxes with only a half dozen viruses caught since Monday on all boxes. We use F-Secure not crappy CLAMV.

3. FWC

FWC Well-Known Member

If F-Secure is that great, shouldn't it be catching more than CLAMAV? :confused:

4. jackie46

jackie46 BANNED

Who said it didnt? F-Secure is about the best you can buy.

5. brianoz

brianoz Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    The FBI and the CIA are not the right people to try and scam through.

I think the real FBI and CIA will eat these guys for dinner. And probably lunch as well, and justly so.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...