The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mass Sub Domain Creation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vnchief, Apr 5, 2010.

1. vnchief

vnchief Member

Apart from the creation of the DNS A record for a subdomain. What else does the create subdomain function do? It must create some additional entry(s) somewhere to allow HTTP access to the subdomain.

I need to create lots (around 500) of subdomains. I found a thread with the command line entries to update the DNS file and wonder whether I can do the same for the other records that the Cpanel subdomain creation creates. What are they?

Thanks

2. JawadArshad

JawadArshad Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    DataCenter Provider
    Each subdomain has its record created in /var/cpanel/users/username file and its own metadata file /var/cpanel/userdata/username folder other than the DNS zone record. I am not sure if its a good idea to create bulk subdomains via a shell script and whether you can do it without missing or messing something, rather creating subdomains via cPanel's API would be a much better idea.
    More about cPanel's API here

3. vnchief

vnchief Member

API, that's a good idea. My thoughts hadn't reached that far but I can understand why you would be suggesting it.

Thanks