The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mass upload to IP denier

Discussion in 'Security' started by volunteer, May 8, 2015.

1. volunteer

volunteer Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    I maintain a small wordpress blog as a volunteer.

Suddenly since March we are getting an increasing number of people trying to illegally log into the dashboard. We get alerts about this via Sucuri Alert.

But adding anything up 60 to 70 ip addresses to IP denier is time consuming.

Is there any method of uploading them via ftp?

If so what is the name of the file that holds the list of ip addresses?

What format is this file in.

Unfortunately this isn't for instance attempt illegal log ins from one isp, that are coming from a number of different countries and servers so there aren't that many that can be entered as a block.

Any help greatly appreciated as this is literally taking hours each day.

Of better still how to stop these as they are also impinging on our the limit on the usage provided by our web host.

Thanks

PS we do have a number of plugins installed that are supposed to deal with them but none of them are stopping them. And strangely Akismet if the same period is recording a high level of pingbacks even those these are also blocked. ie in previous months we would have about 60-80 a month, now we are getting 17,000+ per month which nobody can explain.

2. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
  3. volunteer

volunteer Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Hi

I am not asking for wordpress support. I just gave the info as background. (I have posted to wordpress support forums and nobody has an answer which is why we are left individually blocking ip addresses.)

My question for cPanel forum is whether there is any way to mass upload a list of IP addresses rather than the tedious method provided by cPanel of adding them one by one, then click on accept, which then takes you to a new screen where you then have to go back.

ie the cPanel set up is very clunky.

I want to by pass it and need to know if I can do this via ftp, and if so the name of the file that contains the list of ip addresses and the file format.

Thanks

4. cPanelMichael

cPanelMichael Forums Analyst
    Staff Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Hello,

I was under the impression you were referring to a WordPress plugin when you referenced "IP denier". It looks like you are referring to the "IP Address Deny Manager" option in cPanel. You can't upload a list of IP addresses to block through the interface, but you can manually modify the .htaccess file in the public_html directory of the account and add additional entries in the following format:

Code:
    deny from IP
    Thank you.

5. volunteer

volunteer Registered

cPanel Access Level:
    Website Owner
    Okay thanks - sorry I didn't check the cPanel function and caused confusion. At the moment I have over 200 ip addresses which is why I was hoping to be able to upload a file.

Thanks for info about .htaccess file will consult with person who has been working on modifying this for us.

Thanks