The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Massive backup

Discussion in 'Data Protection' started by tom.duff, Feb 28, 2006.

1. tom.duff

tom.duff Registered

For all intents and purposes, let's say I've got a reseller account on a host's server, but no shell access, and needless to say, no root access. I want to be able to back up the info from ALL the domain accounts under my reseller account, and not just the home directories, but the mysql and aliases as well, for each domain. I've got a LOT of domains, so going through every cpanel and creating a backup would take a rediculous amount of time.

Is there some way for me to backup every domain through WHM, or would I need some sort of script or cronjob to do it?

Any help would be appreciated.

--TD

2. caesar1_caesar1

Since you are on a reseller level, I think you can NOT.

3. webignition

webignition Well-Known Member

I'd say that it would be possible to script the backup process since a given user would certainly have permission to access all the files that need backing up. And this too could then be scheduled as a cron job.

However as you don't have root access I can't see how you could get the script to run for all the users for which it would be needed. Unless you happen to have all accounts' usernames and passwords, in which case the script might be able to switch user from time to time.

Either way, not a straightforward task.

4. tom.duff

tom.duff Registered

Possibly...

I do have all the usernames and passwords for the accounts - they're all my sites, I used whm to organize stuff was all. :cool:

What kind of a script or cronjob would I need to run? I dont know exactly how cpanel lays out the data files, etc.

Thanks in advance! :)

--TD

5. elleryjh

elleryjh Well-Known Member

I think you would have to write a script to interface with cpanel's backup page and download them all.

I don't think you would need to have all the passwords; just all the usernames and the reseller pass.

You could use PHP:
    PHP:
    <? 
    fopen("http://$username:$resellerpass@localhost:2082""r");
    ?>
    Scan that page for all backup urls using the preg_match_all function, and then download those.

I can write it for you for a fee - PM me if you're interested.

6. tom.duff

tom.duff Registered

Awesome Idea!

I didn't even think of that! That's a great idea. I'll write up the script tonight.

Thanks for all the help! :)

--TD