Massive Drop in Awstats

kwmlr439

Aug 24, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
I am hoping someone can help since I am new to the VPS world; I would very much appreciate it. My traffic stats dropped from 6K unique visitors a day ti 20 Unique visitors a day. I did investigate possible htaccess hack but all seems fine; Google Webmaster tool and the safe browsing did not report any issues as well. I did a full scan of the site and there are no malicious codes or hacks. This issue just started happening in the last 2 days.

While talking to my hosting provider one of the suggestions was to look in the error log to see if there are any issues. If anyone have had experience similar issue please help!!!! Here are some logs from my server and cpanel; for the "admin" please remove if there are any personal data, I am not familiar just yet.

- Removed -

Last edited by a moderator:

kwmlr439

Aug 24, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Output removed. Please don't post that sort of output without removing/modifying all information like emails, IPs, domain names.
Thank you so much! That is one of the reasons I made a note for the admin in there since I am new to the VPS world; it is much appreciated. :)

Reactions: Infopro

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011

kwmlr439

Aug 24, 2013
cPanel Access Level
Website Owner
Hi Michael,

After a couple days digging on what's the issue I found out that a server misconfiguration is perhaps the cause. After a DNS health check I found the following errors; hope you can help.

Superfluous name server listed at parent: ns1.bluehost.com

A name server listed at the parent, but not at the child, was found. This is most likely an administrative error. You should update the parent to match the name servers at the child as soon as possible.

Superfluous name server listed at parent: ns2.bluehost.com

A name server listed at the parent, but not at the child, was found. This is most likely an administrative error. You should update the parent to match the name servers at the child as soon as possible.

Total parent/child glue mismatch.

The parent lists name servers that the child doesnt know about, see details in advanced. This configuration could actually work but breaks very easily if one of these zones change slightly.

Too few IPv4 name servers (1).

Only one IPv4 name server was found for the zone. You should always have at least two IPv4 name servers for a zone to be able to handle transient connectivity problems.

Reverse for XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX points to an unknown host name (XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX.unifiedlayer.com).

The PTR record for the address points to an unknown host name.

Reverse for XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX points to an unknown host name (XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX.unifiedlayer.com).

2 different serials found.

The SOA serial is not the same on all name servers. This is usually due to misconfiguration, but can sometimes be the result of slow zone propagation to secondary name servers.

2 different SOA records found.

The SOA record are not the same among all name servers. This is usually due to misconfiguration.

Delivery over IPv4 to [email protected] could not be done.

Failed to deliver email for SOA RNAME of focusdomain.com (root.server.maindomain.com) using [email protected].

DNSCheck failed to deliver email to the email address listed as the one responsible for the zone.

Last edited by a moderator:

cPanelMichael

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 11, 2011
The output you provided should not make a difference with statistics calculation unless the domain name does not resolve to the correct IP address. Are you using your domain registrar's/hosting provider's name servers or are you attempting to create and utilize your own private name servers? This guide should help explain the difference:

[Tutorial] Nameserver configuration on cPanel servers

Thank you.