The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Massive log files

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sexy_guy, May 15, 2003.

1. sexy_guy

sexy_guy Well-Known Member

The size of some of our reseller log files is getting ridiculously huge. Why isnt the log files in domlogs included as part of the users quota? It should be. We have a whole bunch of resellers who done give a rats about whats logging in their log files, let alone worry about what gets logged to our error_log. We have one site whos logging 10entries a second to our error_log. This morning i listed his domlog. After 5 minutes the system was still trying to read it and its not done yet. What do you do with people who refuse to clean up their sites?

Look at the size of this file; -rw-r----- 1 root tambayan 1126982442 May 15 10:10

#1 sexy_guy, May 15, 2003
    Last edited: May 15, 2003
  2. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    I don't believe users have the proper permissions to delete the domlog files. I believe these files are owned by root. We have scripts installed that run every so often through cron and delete the biggest domlog files. This keeps them from taking up so much space.

As for the error log, we usually get a notice when /usr is getting full. The first thing we do is look at the size of the error log and delete it if necessary. Apache will need to be restarted if you delete it or any of the domlogs, since it is the parent process that is writing to the files.

3. harbornetworks

You can try to notify the customer and let them know you have noticed there are a lot of missing files being linked to, or images missing. Let them know that by not fixing the problem it's eating up resources on the server. Most of the users may not even notice a little file not listing. I know I had a image missing on my site. I never saw the image not loading because it's so small and is a spacer image. It didn't change the way my site looked, but it would generate an error every time. But if your nice about it when you tell them, they will probably work on it and even fix it.

Also the user can't be responsible for something thats not their fault. If someone goes to their domian and types in an invalid file or directory, it will show up in the error log. It's a common thing to find this happening, and you must realize log files will grow and that it's a part of hosting. Just keep a close eye on your server and do the best you can at keeping it running smoothly.

4. DWHS.net

DWHS.net Well-Known Member
    PartnerNOC

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Well said, you can also go into apache 1.3 or newer and change the error reporting priority to a higher level to weed out the 404 reporting.

-Charles

5. Angel78

Angel78 Well-Known Member

do you have to recreate ( touch ) the logs or will the apache do it?

6. jamesbond

jamesbond Well-Known Member

You could just do :
    1. stop apache
    2. cp /dev/null error_logs
    3. start apache

This way you don't have to 'touch' the log file.

7. sparek-3

sparek-3 Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    Apache will recreate the log files if they are not there.

8. Website Rob

Website Rob Well-Known Member

cPanel Access Level:
    Root Administrator
    What do you do with people who refuse to clean up their sites?

I would suggest you take a firm hand with these types of 'problem accounts' -- as I call them -- and be ready to live with your decision(s). Has happened to me twice now. Both times, double digit errors were being created within a second at various times of the day. As our TOS state what is acceptable for Server usage by an account, both of these were falling outside of the established limits and allowed me to take action on my own.

With one, I created an .htaccess file with code to prevent the errors from showing up in the logs -- URLs were pointing to images that were not there. When I advised the Client of what I had done and why, they thanked me.

With the other, they had a script creating 20 - 40 MB a day, of errors. In trying to solve the problem I spoke with the Client by phone, explained the problem and why it was happening. Even sent them a text file, of a randomly selected 1hr period (about 1.3MB), so they could see for themselves. We agreed on date they could live with, to fix it, or the script would be shut down. I also advised them I could fix the problem (script was incorrectly coded) and would be a 1hr charge. Date came and went, still not fixed, no request for me to fix it, script was shut down. Client eventually closed their account and moved on. So be it.

The second Client also had a Reseller account with us (which they still have to this day) and only moved the 'problem account' -- a regular Hosting account they had setup, before their Reseller account. Goes to show that communication "always" plays a big part in any business.

Some you win, some you lose. ;)

9. casey

casey Well-Known Member

Is it possible to rotate the users' logs? I mean, all they need for long-term use is put into a new file by the stats programs, right? If it is possible to rotate the users' logs, can someone tell me how?