The Community Forums

Interact with an entire community of cPanel & WHM users!
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Master Reseller

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tenatious, May 29, 2007.

1. tenatious

tenatious Member

Hello,
    Is there a way to make master resellers in WHM (Resellers that can sell resellers)? I know theres the script WHMMaster Reseller V2 but in my opinion it sucks. So is there another script out there like it, or a way to do it with WHM itsself?

Thanks

2. niccell

niccell Well-Known Member

Just My Opinion

The software you are referring to is a slick piece of software....kudos to the author.

With that out of the way....

For those who are unfamiliar with this software, it is a way for your clients to be able to create WHM accounts for their clients.....

From what I've seen (and I've been watching closely), Master Reseller Accounts are a great way to bring your server down in flames.....it's a ponzi-like effect.

1) On a WHM/CPanel server, you already have to carefully watch resources like a hawk, constantly monitoring new accounts, as well as keeping a careful eye out for exploits and such.

2) The Master Reseller Software degrades this, giving far too much power to an end user, who has little or no fiscal or technical responsibility for the server. I've watched servers fill up in 3 days from just a few accounts plugging these 'Master' accounts, and the resources skyrocket to unacceptable levels....

3) This piece of software has really brought down the hosting community, IMHO. Clients of course want 'more for less', but with the finite resources of ANY server, this is taking it a step too far. Now clients want this authority, knowing it is available, again without the financial or technical responsibility this piece of software demands.

In the right circumstances, with a very seasoned server operator, this piece of software can be a very profitable addition. Unfortunately, I've rarely seen it used that way.

My best advice is stick to the basics. If you have good servers and they are well monitored, you won't need this.

3. Edizon

Edizon Well-Known Member

Well that is a good way of looking at it niccell. Good opinion.

I think you should look into VPS as a possible alternative.